OK. How are they doing that? by raistlin

• Related topics: (no related topics)

raistlin
I'm receiving spam from my own e-mail addresses :(

Clearly, I can't put my own e-mail addresses to automatically report as spam and be junked.

Can anybody tell me how they're managing to use my own e-mail addresses against me please?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 21 Mar 2016, 19:34 #1 

dattrike
I have the same problem with Yahoo, I get spam from myself. It started when a friends e mail got hacked. I think they used his contacts and it grew from there. I get spam from all of his contacts.

Posted 21 Mar 2016, 19:46 #2 

Bermudan 75
I have received emails from myself on a hotmail address. How do they manage to do it?

Posted 21 Mar 2016, 19:49 #3 

raistlin
I can rule out that they have broken my password because I keep changing it so they must be doing something else such that my computer THINKS it's from me.

In addition, I can't see their reasoning because surely anybody would be immediately suspicious of an email from themselves which they know they didn't send? Further, it is immediately obvious as spam because it contains the usual attachment that you're supposed to be moronic enough to click on.
Paul

Posted 21 Mar 2016, 19:57 #4 

Borg Warner
Mines gone through the roof recently, logged on the the meercat for an insurance quote didn't I. Does the same every time although I've not experienced what your are Paul?

Gary M.

Posted 21 Mar 2016, 20:06 #5 

humphshumphs
You can actually spoof an email to make it look as if it came from someone else, so you receive an email from yourself.
Richard

Posted 21 Mar 2016, 21:07 #6 

raistlin
So how do you block them please?
Paul

Posted 21 Mar 2016, 21:29 #7 

Mick
(Site Admin)
I have a catch all email setup. For each site that I have to enter an email address I use their title @ my address. This only serves to let me know where the spammers have gleaned my address not, what to do about it. :(

Yet another example just arrived.
Screen Shot 2016-03-22 at 12.01.34.jpg

Almost all recently have a .xls, .doc, or .zip attachment. Being a Mac user I never use any of those file types, it makes it easy to set rules to automatically delete them. I use Open Office.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 22 Mar 2016, 12:10 #8