Oil in throttle body? by Zeb

Zeb
When I removed the rubber hose 'twixt air filter and throttle body there was about a table spoon full of engine oil collected in the hose.....beneath the hose there is evidence of where this oils has been dripping out onto the casings below... I presume this is a 'bad thing' but cannot work out where the oil has come from nor what this symptom suggests?

Posted 20 Mar 2011, 15:40 #1 

JakeWilson
I think that's what these catch tanks are designed for as the oil would then assumably go down the inlet manifold from where you've found it, resulting in bereft of life VIS (Variable Intake System) Motors.

Posted 20 Mar 2011, 15:58 #2 

Zeb
JakeWilson wrote:I think that's what these catch tanks are designed for as the oil would then assumably go down the inlet manifold from where you've found it, resulting in bereft of life VIS Motors.

Ah...well, most of the oil seems to have ended up on top of the gearbox....my very own bad catch tank... :D

Posted 20 Mar 2011, 16:00 #3 

takestock
Very, very common this. The oil is carried in vapour form from the rocker cover tops, through the breather pipes and is re introduced via the throttle body, as it cools it is deposited on the cold casing of the throttle body. All quite normal. Problem comes in the winter when if we have sustained minus temperatures, in the mixture can be small amounts of water, they promptly freeze in the throttle body and your throttle sticks open :panic:

Catch tanks can help :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 20 Mar 2011, 16:20 #4 

Zeb
Anything to stop me simply disconnecting the pipe from the throttle body and putting the catch tank in its place? (Blocking off the hole in the throttle body afterwards of course!)

Posted 20 Mar 2011, 17:02 #5 

Duncan
Zeb wrote:Anything to stop me simply disconnecting the pipe from the throttle body and putting the catch tank in its place? (Blocking off the hole in the throttle body afterwards of course!)

You'll get no flow of the vapour, and your crankcase wil pressurise. A bit like on the dieguls when the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve) is blocked.

The catch tank allows the flow through but catches the oil.

Posted 20 Mar 2011, 17:07 #6 

Zeb
Righty ho Duncan....I'll order me some catch tanks when funds allow then... :)

Posted 20 Mar 2011, 17:19 #7 

JakeWilson
Going to get me one too - they do do a nice red one that would suit yours! :gmc:

Btw - someone wants your rear bumper 'over there.'

Posted 20 Mar 2011, 19:24 #8