Oil extractor- which one? by Duncan

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Duncan
Some seem to favour the Pela, but is it actually better than say the laser that looks very similar? Machine mart have both and the Laser is on offer so slightly cheaper.

There has been one reported incident with the end of the pipe being lost. Has anyone on here come close to having a problem? I can do the job via the drain plug, but I always end up with oil on the drive no matter how careful I am. That is an unpopular thing to do, believe me.

Posted 21 Oct 2011, 18:04 #1 

Zeb
Never had any problems at all with the Pela....and as to how someone managed to get the tube stuck in the crank case.............Gord knows how they managed that!

Posted 21 Oct 2011, 18:50 #2 

Jürgen
Duncan, I'd prefer the drain plug method. So you'll get all of the used oil out of the engine. When pumping it out you'll not be able to tell how much has been left inside.

Last year someone of the R75.info community got a problem, when parts of the tool disintegrated and got lost in the engine. The car had to be hauled to a garage in order to remove the oil trough, before the debris could be removed.

Posted 21 Oct 2011, 18:50 #3 

raistlin
Duncan, I use the Sealey TP6901. It has a 9 litre capacity - useful with the diesels. I've never had a problem with it and, to be fair, can't see how anything could have disintegrated as the only thing inside the engine is a substantial plastic pipe.

As far as I am aware, the pump method leaves some 250 - 300ml in the engine which, in my view is neither here nor there.

If you want to try before you buy, you can borrow mine :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 21 Oct 2011, 19:05 #4 

Jürgen
raistlin wrote:and, to be fair, can't see how anything could have disintegrated as the only thing inside the engine is a substantial plastic pipe.

It has been a part of that pipe, Paul.

Posted 21 Oct 2011, 19:13 #5 

raistlin
Jürgen wrote:
raistlin wrote:and, to be fair, can't see how anything could have disintegrated as the only thing inside the engine is a substantial plastic pipe.

It has been a part of that pipe, Paul.

In which case, Jürgen, I'd put that down to poor maintenance. The pipe is a really robust piece of kit, but I still check it thoroughly before use, and would reject it if there was the slightest sign of damage :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 21 Oct 2011, 19:24 #6 

Jürgen
I anticipated that you'd be careful, Paul. ;)

Posted 21 Oct 2011, 20:23 #7 

Duncan
Well machinemart didn't have the laser in stock, so I bought the Pela. Maybe I didn't have the oil warm enough because it took ages, but did the job great.

Posted 23 Oct 2011, 08:59 #8 

PaulT
I use an Am-Tech with 7 litres capacity. When I looked the Pela is only 6 litres so 0.5 litres short for a diesel.

Very happy with mine - I normally suck out the oil sit Yve in the back of the car to steady the container and drive to the local tip and empty the container, saves any mishaps trying to empty the container into the used oil cans.

Paul
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 23 Oct 2011, 20:22 #9