Oddity with entries in the list of sections. by Duncan

Duncan
Sorry if the title is meaningless.

For the past few days (couple of weeks maybe) I've been notocing that on the main page, there's a list of the last topic / post in that sub forum.

Usually it has the name of the thread, and the poster:

Re: drop the dead donkey by: bjorn.

Often now, the thread title is missing, so the entry is:

Re: by: bjorn.

No big deal, but something is amiss.

Posted 07 Feb 2011, 22:12 #1 

JohnDotCom
Our Technical bod will be made aware and check. Thanks.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 07 Feb 2011, 22:15 #2 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Thanks for pointing this out Duncan, not something we would have noticed necessarily, we'll keep an eye on it and see if something can be done.

Posted 07 Feb 2011, 22:41 #3 

Duncan
Typically, no sign of it since mentioned.

I'll try and get a screengrab if it does it again......

Posted 08 Feb 2011, 20:37 #4 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Thanks Duncan, Simon's had a good look and can't find any errors. Probably only shows when the anomaly occurs. The database needed a running repair earlier so that may have fixed it.

Posted 08 Feb 2011, 21:16 #5 

Duncan
Now, how about that. Just happened on this very thread.

Got a screenshot will post tomorrow. Looking at 22:42

There was not even a Re: just a 'by Mick'.

Maybe they were all like that.

Posted 08 Feb 2011, 22:42 #6 

Duncan
This is from 13:03

There was another entry the same, but this cleared on a refresh. This on persisted for a few minutes and at least six refreshes.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 09 Feb 2011, 13:11 #7 

Jürgen
Maybe it's because the last post of the thread doesn't contain a subject (like this one intentionally)? :confused:

Posted 09 Feb 2011, 19:47 #8 

Duncan
First prize!

Yup, that seems to be it.

So is that because somebody has chosen to change the title of their post away from RE: xxx to nothing, or is that a website funny?

If people are changing them, (Mick) I'm interested to know why. Cos I'm nosy like that.

Posted 09 Feb 2011, 20:05 #9 

SpongeBob
It could very well be that people are removing the title from their post when they reply to a subject. Certainly nothing we can tell from our end of things what people are doing. Most likely the cause is as Jürgen suggests, so well done to him for the idea! :) :D

Posted 09 Feb 2011, 20:17 #10 

Jürgen
I'll submit an invoice ... :lol:

Posted 09 Feb 2011, 20:20 #11 

JohnDotCom
Our handling charges will be greater so I shouldn't bother.Image
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 09 Feb 2011, 20:30 #12 

Duncan
Yeah, so now your'e all at it. And I wuz only trying to help. :angry:

Posted 09 Feb 2011, 20:47 #13 

SpongeBob
I wouldn't worry about the titles disappearing in the forum views - it's just one of the things the current layout/design doesn't handle very well. Your observations though are worthwhile. Everything people mention gets noted and looked in to with any necessary amendments added to ze list ;)

Posted 09 Feb 2011, 21:05 #14 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Don't take any notice of the forum piss takers Duncan. They have their uses............................. can't think of any just now. :D :D

Posted 09 Feb 2011, 21:39 #15