Now there's a thing by raistlin

• Related topics: (no related topics)

raistlin
Like an awful lot of people with a desktop PC, having bought Windows 8 and installed it I very soon realised that it wasn't the thing for me so I re-installed Windows 7.

Now that the 8.1 upgrade is available which apparently is more desktop friendly, I decided to re-install Windows 8 and then obtain the upgrade to Windows 8.1

During the install procedure for Windows 8 it asks for the product code and when \I entered my code it refused to accept it.

Eventually getting through to a (semi) human at Microsoft I explained the problem and was told that, having downgraded (their words not mine) from Windows 8 to Windows 7, I had sacrificed my Windows 8 licence and would have to purchase a new one.

As I said... there's a thing :angry:
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 18 Oct 2013, 14:24 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
More like, thieving bunch of................... (insert suitable expletives here).

Apple users, if you should lose your system disk or it gets damaged. Borrow one from a friend.
Currently, as systems are no longer available on disk just download the installer and copy onto a DVD and loan it to the friend with the problem.

Posted 18 Oct 2013, 16:00 #2 

raistlin
It was, of course, utter nonsense.

I contacted their customer services by e-mail and had the problem sorted out within an hour. I had made an error transcribing the product key. They sent me a copy of the original confirmation e-mail with the correct details on.

Clearly, the first moron I spoke to was close to the end of his shift.
Paul

Posted 18 Oct 2013, 16:27 #3 

Jürgen
Paul, I think you're better off staying with 7. Well, some say they have listened to their customers and reinvented the start button. But it's just bringing you back to all the newish tiles, and not, as you would expect, opening a menu showing the installed software.

Although courts in Europe have ruled that you are entitled to use your OS software on a new computer, as long as the old one isn't used anymore, MS is trying to make it harder to do so.

Mick, you can use a borrowed Windows DVD to install a legal version of this OS. All you have to do is using your own 25(?) digit code.

BTW I've worked for many years in an IT department, being responsible for hundreds of Windows server systems. This type of overdose ;) lead to a switch to OS X in my private life two years ago.

Posted 18 Oct 2013, 16:36 #4 

raistlin
I confidently expect to strip version 8.1 off my PC Jürgen, but as the upgrade is free it would be churlish not to try it at least :lol:

To be frank, W7 is the best OS they've produced since W98 in my opinion and I'll be happy to continue using it
Paul

Posted 18 Oct 2013, 16:53 #5 

Last edited by raistlin on 18 Oct 2013, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.

Trebor
I have downloaded 8.1 today as a last gasp before getting shut completely,I was told that if i wanted to go back to W7 not only would i have to buy it ( which i will if i have to ) but need also to check mother board as a function used by W8 needs disabling, all over my head a bit, I just want to load a disc install a new OS and be able to use the desktop i bought last Christmas which has been idle most of the time because of W8
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 18 Oct 2013, 17:02 #6 

Jürgen
Trebor wrote:as a function used by W8 needs disabling

Rob, that will be the "secure boot" function of the UEFI (which is replacing the BIOS on new computers). With secure boot enabled the PC will only boot operating systems certified by Microsoft. Even a Linux needs a MS certificate to boot up. :mrgreen:

I could tell you a bit more about this at the weekend if you like.

Posted 18 Oct 2013, 17:50 #7 

Trebor
Yes Jürgen thanks that would be great as would an idiots guide to how to downgrade to W7, see you tomorrow
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 18 Oct 2013, 22:36 #8