Now misfire x 3 by TyphoonTT

• Related topics: (no related topics)

TyphoonTT
Hi guys.

Me again. :em:

Oil and water issue seems to have been resolved, all clear on that front.

Now suffering a misfire on all cylinders on front bank.

A massive thanks to David who travelled down to diagnose on his T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) . :thumbsup:

Earths on front and rear bank connectors checked.

Runs fine for about a minute regardless of engine temperture, then runs like a bag of nails.

Showing fault codes P0172 and P0300, also brought up open circuit fault, but don't know where?

Steve ( Devlish ) suggested symptoms of a transistor failure, but have no idea where to look next apart from ECU (Engine Control Unit). :confused:

Any other suggestions greatly appreciated. :(

Posted 04 Dec 2011, 09:56 #1 

Mad-Monkey
We also checked the connectors on 1 3 5 coil packs and injectors for corrosion. All fine. Continuity checked from ground through connectors on the coil packs and ground connections, all good. The only one looking a bit flakey due to lots of bending was the front bank earth, so to elimintate it completely I cut the spade connector off and made the connection good to the block.

A phone call to Russ also suggested the ground points but they were fully checked, unless there is one we couldn't find.

Posted 04 Dec 2011, 12:22 #2 

Bernard
If you have had an open circuit on the LT sides of the coils then the ECU may well be damaged. 50% chance from what I have seen in the past. The drivers in the ECU do not like being OC on their outputs.
We knew about that kind of problem 40 years ago and designed around it but, alas, designers think themselves to be so clever that they do not need to look at the past.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 04 Dec 2011, 12:24 #3 

TyphoonTT
Disconnected front lamdar sensor on advice, and seems at least initially to be the culprit.

Will replace in the week and keep my fingers crossed it's not a damaged ECU. A huge thanks to David for travelling down, T4'ing and eliminating faults in very cold weather, and to his patient other half.

Also to Russ and Brian for the advice.

Posted 04 Dec 2011, 22:15 #4 

Trebor
i do hope you get this sorted Ben, one problem after another, fingers crossed
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 06 Dec 2011, 21:48 #5 

MrB
Am hoping the Lambda sensor is your culprit and you can enjoy your ZT as it was meant to be enjoyed.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 07 Dec 2011, 02:12 #6 

TyphoonTT
It appears no such luck. :( Finally replaced sensor today, ran ok for 20 miles or so, then started all over again!

:hissyfit:

Posted 10 Dec 2011, 18:25 #7 

TyphoonTT
:( Car went to Austingarages on Friday. Nick spent a large part of the day, tracing small airleaks etc, waiting for each one to solve the intermitant misfire. At about 6pm, he found the engine loom had water ingress, and had managed to track up to the ecu. ECU it's self was bone dry, with no sign of any water near it, and front lamda sensor plug also bone dry with no sign of contamination. Lost as to how this amount of moisture has gotten in to the engine loom. :(

Posted 05 Feb 2012, 16:57 #8 

DeuxGazoles
At least your mind's at rest now eh ;) I have to say it was running silky smooth yesterday
Geordie Jeans! they're nice & tight especially roond the arse

Posted 05 Feb 2012, 20:49 #9 

TyphoonTT
Engine loom goosed. :(

Cleaned and dried the ECU plug several times, but it is now turquoise. Coolant sensor link harness shows coolant at both ends. Not happy.

Just want to say a big thanks to Duncan, who has helped out a lot with tracing connectors etc.

Thanks! :cheers:

Posted 03 Mar 2012, 17:52 #10