Not much... by raistlin

• Related topics: (no related topics)

raistlin
... moves me to tears these days.

However, I've just watched Sir Terry Pratchett's documentary on BBC2 called "Choosing to die". That did it.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 13 Jun 2011, 21:11 #1 

geesmith
Aye, that was very thought provoking. One of the thoughts being "where are the tissues". It takes some courage to make that decision 'while you are still able'.

I have since been banned from going to Switzerland.

I thought it was a little clumsy in the end. Particularly watching Peter Smedley being denied his last request for water. A little compassionate sip can't do much harm, the medication was obviously taking effect.

Posted 13 Jun 2011, 22:15 #2 

Last edited by geesmith on 13 Jun 2011, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.

Ragman
Balls

Missed it - knew I had something to watch tonight

Posted 13 Jun 2011, 22:18 #3 

PaulT
Did not see it but am very pro.

Listening to the Today programme on the way in to work and there was an organisation Care not Death or something like that complaining.

For my money, if someone is in pain and has not quality of life why should they have to carry on living a life of Hell?

If you did it to an animal then Paul would be sentencing you for cruelty to animals
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 14 Jun 2011, 06:47 #4 

Zeb
My grandmother died of bowel cancer....she was a very devout Salvation Army Christian...her view...'you'd never let a dog suffer like this but you'll let me?' Her words haunt me, not least because she had wanted someone to do the 'decent thing' for her (she couldn't herself) and I had the opportunity but couldn't / wouldn't(?) do it. In the end, on her change of pain medication to 3.5 x the previous doseage by a Dr. who could see what this disease was doing, both to her and to my grandfather, she passed away peacefully...I did not see the programme and I have serious misgivings about changing the law to allow others to 'help' somebody die, but there is a major difference between, say, dispensing the means to allow somebody to take their OWN life and administering said substance...and yes, where does that leave those unable to do it for themselves?

Posted 14 Jun 2011, 10:36 #5