Non Rover brake question - Gill's MX5 by Dave

Dave
Had my brakes done last Monday (rear pads and discs). On short journey home (1 mile) they felt spongy, but next day they were fine

Gill's MX5 went in for MOT culminating in rear brakes (calipers and pads) needing doing, on Wednesday. Also felt spongy, with lots of pedal travel, and this has continued

Tried pumping the pedal, engine on and engine off, but still the same

Anything I can look at, apart from taking it back?! :cry:

Posted 27 Jun 2010, 16:12 #1 

Last edited by Dave on 27 Jun 2010, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.

Zeb
Air in with the brake fluid, take it back and demand they bleed them properly...

Posted 27 Jun 2010, 16:21 #2 

Dave
You're probably right - more hassle then....

Posted 27 Jun 2010, 16:28 #3 

Dave
Took it back today

They said "well the pedal would have been hard before as the pads were so work" and "it's bound to feel different now with new pads"

They have looked at it but it's still the same

Is the above a load of bull****?

Posted 01 Jul 2010, 17:07 #4 

MrB
Whenever I change brakes the pedal always feels harder after, not spongey.

Also pedal travel is generally less after, has that changed?

You could always bleed them yourself, just to be sure.

Or to be really sure take the car to a different garage, that you trust, and have them change the brake fluid. Maybe the fluid is old, when was it last changed?
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 01 Jul 2010, 18:36 #5 

Dave
I'd have thought that it should have been harder and less travel afterwards too....

Brake fluid was supposedly changed when they did the other brake work

Problem with going somewhere else is that there is nowhere else I trust, plus it will cost more money.... :evil:

Posted 02 Jul 2010, 15:40 #6 

MrB
Dave wrote:I'd have thought that it should have been harder and less travel afterwards too....

Brake fluid was supposedly changed when they did the other brake work

Problem with going somewhere else is that there is nowhere else I trust, plus it will cost more money.... :evil:

I guess if they replaced the calipers they will have had to change the fluid. :confused:

Are they getting any better with use? Just to check it wasn't just a bedding in issue.

You don't mention if the discs were also replaced? What condition are they in?

Bleeding the brakes is not difficult to do.

All you need is some Dot 4 fluid, a length of clear plastic tubing something to collect the spent fluid in and a beautiful assistant.

You attach the tubing to the bleed nipple and the other end into a container with a little fluid in the bottom. Then you crack open the bleed nipple, just a little, and get your beautiful assistant to slowly press the pedal to the the floor. When it reaches the floor they should let you know and hold it there while you tighten the nipple back up. As the brake fluid is flowing down the pipe look to see if it is clear of bubbles.

Repeat on all four corners.

Of course if it has ABS (Antilock Braking System), maybe same applies as applied here for Russ?

http://www.75ztcommunity.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=809&p=6413#p6413
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 02 Jul 2010, 17:30 #7 

Dave
Discs weren't replaced and are bit rusty - the pads only operate over about half the surface (NB, thought I'd posted about this elsewhere but can't find it.... :confused: )

May have to have a go at bleeding the brakes myself.... :hissyfit: And hope it's not the aforementioned ABS thing......

Posted 02 Jul 2010, 18:30 #8