No blower fan on a car with ATC. by Duncan

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Duncan
Not sure if anyone has come across this, but a chap round the corner popped in this morning. ATC (Automatic Temperature Control) panel is lighting up fine, no faults displayed, but the blower is completely dead. Did a quick check of the fuses and relay and they look OK, but didn't have time to dig further (family arriving soon). It sounds a bit like the transistor pack. I seem to remember someone having this issue on one of the forums, but can't recall the outcome.

Posted 09 Jun 2013, 10:37 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
It could very well be the Transistor Pack has failed in some way.
Some info here. http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=393460

Posted 09 Jun 2013, 10:46 #2 

raistlin
I think I know this one Duncan. There's a regulator for the fan which has a big alloy heat-sink. It usually fails by intermittently rather than total catastrophic failure. If there isn't a Rover part available I understand Range / Land Rover have identical parts. IIRC, you can repair it though - power transistor replacement.

I can't remember much more about it. Keith Alexander showed me one many years ago.

EDIT - just read the link Mick added - makes this post redundant :(
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 09 Jun 2013, 10:51 #3 

Duncan
Brilliant info guys. Thanks. I didn't try it on absolute maximum, but now I know they can fail, I'd put money on it being this.

Posted 09 Jun 2013, 11:13 #4 

Arctic
(Trader)
Would this be in this area in the photo's below somewhere if so i am sure i took one of a car last year and it will be in the shed maybe something i can bring to next meet for you guys to take a gander at ;) Arctic.

Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 10 Jun 2013, 21:59 #5 

Duncan
Yes, that's the beast. Though it's shown in the drivers footwell in the workshop manual!

On some cars, theres a resistor pack there instead (if they don't have ATC).

Posted 12 Jun 2013, 17:26 #6 

Duncan
OK, some feedback.

He came round again this evening. He wanted to come to the Nano but is attending hospital daily so couldn't.

I swapped the transistor pack with the one of my V6 as I'm not using it right now. Worked a treat.

So I thought I'd have a look at fixing it. It doesn't look like the one in the thread, but that's for a ZS not a 75/ZT. There's one FET (a type of transistor) which seems to have failed, but also a thermal fuse which has also apparently died. About £7 worth so I'm going to have a go at fixing it. The chap concerned is nipping to the scrappy to get me a replacement anyway.

Posted 16 Sep 2013, 19:43 #7