New Project! by JakeWilson (Page 1 of 2)

JakeWilson
After a cheeky e-mail on E-bay, and help from Jeremy Smith, we recovered our next project car - a 2004 ZT-T 190.

The car has a failed clutch as well as a ditched interior, a few pics below:

Leaving the garage it had been sat at for 6 months:

Arriving home:

The boot well was full of water, but draining revealed along with soaked highline gear, this:

The next few days will be spent cleaning and appraising what we need, sadly won't be ready for this weekend though! :lol:

10/04/13

OK, so two days of cleaning and the next job is removing the tow bar, upon removing the wiring from the front of the car towards the back, it was time to trace through to the bar itself. Having had highline, I removed the cover to find this:

Ok, arguably from tha angle, not so bad, however closer inspection showed us this:

and this:

and the wires.

The radio module had actually rotted into the BMW connector, so both a replacement module AND loom segment will need to be sourced.

It was evident that the boot has some serious leaks, so this morning they were looked into. upon fitting the tow-bar, the garage had pulled the rear-light bungs through to body, so water was coming in there. The two bar wiring had beend drilled though the wheel well, as opposed to using the factory bung, and we discovered this gem:

The vent was not even fitted, and the bodywork has been damaged at some point, so work focused on that area and cleaning the boot as best as possible:

and the result was:

Posted 09 Apr 2013, 09:10 #1 

Last edited by JakeWilson on 10 Apr 2013, 22:54, edited 1 time in total.

Samarkand
Hi Jake,
All the courage and luck on your new project :clap: Poor thing, she needs that overhaul
Majed
I miss you a lot Samarkand!

Posted 09 Apr 2013, 10:13 #2 

kandyman
Looks a lovely motor,

Any ideas as to why it was laid up ?

Good luck in getting it back on the road.

Posted 09 Apr 2013, 12:52 #3 

1gp
its so sad, that people do this to there cars ... I would love to see there houses...

Posted 09 Apr 2013, 15:49 #4 

JakeWilson
Thanks all for the comments, I think the clutch failed and the guy ran out of money, but I do believe that a car was very much a mode of transport and nothing more. Have spent the last couple of days cleaning it and removing the tow bar bodge wiring, so will replace with the crash beam.

The boot was that full of water that the radio module had rotten and stuck itself onto the connector and the loom has fallen to bits at the connector, so a new connector and wiring will have to be grafted in. It has been a known problem in the cars past it seems as the fuse has been removed. The video module is also U/S.

Posted 09 Apr 2013, 19:03 #5 

zojosc
Looking forward to seeing the progress of this project. Good luck
"Keep Smilin'"
Andy

Posted 09 Apr 2013, 19:32 #6 

BingleyThe75
Shame it won't be ready for this weekend. Does look like a gem under all that grime though. What's the mileage of it?
In a cold world, it's a warm place,
Where you know that you're supposed to be.

Posted 10 Apr 2013, 19:11 #7 

Trebor
Looks a nice motor Jake, look forward to seeing it in the flesh when done
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 10 Apr 2013, 19:28 #8 

JakeWilson
Thanks folks for the comment so far! I've updated post one with todays work!

Posted 10 Apr 2013, 22:55 #9 

simon_rs
looks nice spec 190 there good its getting some tlc at last

Posted 11 Apr 2013, 11:05 #10 

takestock
Lots of work there Jake, keep you busy for a while, I don't know where you find the time, i couldn't :o
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 11 Apr 2013, 12:26 #11 

1gp
nice to see another tourer being saved . will make another lovely car .... keep the pics coming...

Posted 11 Apr 2013, 21:32 #12 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Jake good luck sorry did not have much time to chat at the POL i will be watching this project as i reaaly love to see cars come along when they have been neglected and can be saved by good people like your self etc, doing a fine job see you at the nano in May hopefully keep up the great work cheers Arctic :hail: :hail:
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 16 Apr 2013, 00:46 #13 

greeners
Well done for saving it.......it's so rewarding to turn it round when so many would have simply scrapped it

Posted 28 Apr 2013, 03:32 #14 

JakeWilson
Thanks Gents, we've had to take a break due to other problems that have arisen. I'm hoping to have some more pictures etc soon though.

As for mileage, we were told that it had done 132k, but found out later once we'd got a battery on it, that it had only done 118k. The mileage checks out according to MOT history and we even found all the tax discs dating back to when it was sold at SMC in 2005.

Posted 28 Apr 2013, 15:02 #15 

greeners
Any update ?

Posted 20 May 2013, 16:52 #16 

JakeWilson
Sadly not as much as we'd have liked. We were due to sell our M5 a few weeks back, but got messed about, so the we're a bay down, which is where the parts as they came off this car were meant to be stored. Hopefully thought it'll be off to a good home soon.

In the mean time we've sourced a timing tool kit for it, a set of Apexs in shadow chrome, wishbones, discs and rear pads, a NEW bumper reinforcer still in its packaging (to replace the tow-bar) and some highline units including a BMW Mk3 drive, cruise kit and few other bits and pieces.

Edit: and the clutch master cylinder and plates have been sourced too!

Posted 20 May 2013, 23:17 #17 

Last edited by JakeWilson on 21 May 2013, 15:34, edited 1 time in total.

starbug2
good look with it all it all

Posted 21 May 2013, 14:52 #18 

1gp
nice one .. keep the pics coming when work starts again.

Posted 22 May 2013, 20:48 #19 

JakeWilson
OK so time for an update,

Physical work on the car took place on the back-burner over the last few weeks, but work was able to start again when I got back to Lincoln.

I was able to source a rear door in colour in Birmingham. We were later informed that it would be a bare door, and they really did mean bare! Upon returning back with the door, the task was to then remove the ball complete with foot-shaped hole and rebuild and refit the replacement door.

We also did a bit of a wheel swap-around fitting some recently sourced Apexs

Once that was sorted, the under-seat soundproofing was removed and dried, with the remaining quarry and forest removed

The subwoofer was removed and is now being cleaned due to water ingress from the rear lights:

Work then moved onto fitting a rear-bumper crash can to replace the tow-bar that the car came with. Coincidentally the LR dealer in Swansea had a new one in their old stock.

I was also able to bung and seal the two drill-holes that had been made for the tow-bar

The clutch plates and master cylinder have been sourced, just the slave to source.

The car will without saying have the belts, stat and water pump done, along with fabrication of new lower coolant pipes. The car is sadly fitted with a dead three-speed fan, so will cross that challenge when we get the car stripped in a few weeks!

Posted 09 Jun 2013, 15:01 #20