Network Problem by Mad-Monkey

Mad-Monkey
I seem to have developed a problem on my network. Mainly with the Wireless side of things. Everything connects and works on the net fine, however anything on the wireless network is unable to detect other devices. In particular the annoyance is with the TV and my media server, the TV being wireless and the media server hardwired.

If I restart the router everything finds each other fine and I can watch a film/program. However after watching the TV looses sight of the media server and anything else. The same happens with my iPad and Sonos system.

Is it likely to be a router issue as a restart makes everything fine? It's a BT Home Hub if that makes a difference. I've tried pretty much everything I can think of with no difference.

Any ideas?

Posted 15 Feb 2015, 14:44 #1 

Duncan
It could be that there's been an update you don't know about.

When I started to use airplay, I had a similar issue, that after faffing about everything would work, but then devices couldn't se each other between wired and wireless. It seems my Router (Draytek) doesn't pass the broadcast and multicast between the wired and wireless so on mine I had to switch on a multicast proxy (IGMP). It sounded like it shouldn't have fixed it but it did.

Posted 15 Feb 2015, 15:01 #2 

Mad-Monkey
The last update was November according to the Date settings but I can't remember when this started happening. I've Google'd IGMP on the HomeHub 3 and there are no options as it is automatically enabled.

Posted 15 Feb 2015, 16:24 #3 

Mad-Monkey
Although Googling further with IGMP shows I'm not the only one and could be a Router glitch :( New one maybe needed!

Posted 15 Feb 2015, 16:32 #4 

Mad-Monkey
Well I purchased a New Router. A TP-Link WR841N and it seems to be working perfectly. Best of all it was £20 for Argos and took a whole 5minutes to setup. Far better than BT's Home Hub.

Posted 06 Mar 2015, 19:13 #5 

Duncan
I like TP link stuff. It does what it says on the tin, and is a good price. Netgear used to be good but slid. Belkin and Dlink I haven't touched for a while because they were carp.I had one Belkin which wouldn't even connect to the internet until you downloaded and installed a firmware update. Now how were you supposed to do that if it wouldn't connect to the internet? Four hours of my life wasted on that one!

Posted 07 Mar 2015, 10:17 #6 

Mad-Monkey
We have an asus router which is solid but it was quite expensive. My last netgear was ok but was quite basic amd was double the tplink but that was a few years ago. I have a couple of dlink and belkin products which are working well but I got them on the cheap.

BT have always seemed to provide rubbish routers. We had a business adsl line and the hub with that was dire! No port forwarding or anything!

The tplink has been on a couple of days now and everything has worked first time and at good speeds.

Posted 08 Mar 2015, 10:00 #7 

Duncan
I now use a Draytek, and if anything it has too many options. It is really for small offices I guess.

Posted 08 Mar 2015, 10:02 #8 

Dave
Mad-Monkey wrote:The tplink has been on a couple of days now and everything has worked first time and at good speeds.

Now you've put TP-Link without the hyphen, I'll no longer be able to see it as anything other than T-Plink ever again! :)

Posted 08 Mar 2015, 10:47 #9 

Mad-Monkey
Mad-Monkey wrote:We have an asus router which is solid but it was quite expensive. My last netgear was ok but was quite basic amd was double the tplink but that was a few years ago. I have a couple of dlink and belkin products which are working well but I got them on the cheap.

BT have always seemed to provide rubbish routers. We had a business adsl line and the hub with that was dire! No port forwarding or anything!

The tplink has been on a couple of days now and everything has worked first time and at good speeds.

Dave wrote:
Mad-Monkey wrote:The tplink has been on a couple of days now and everything has worked first time and at good speeds.

Now you've put TP-Link without the hyphen, I'll no longer be able to see it as anything other than T-Plink ever again! :)

lol typing on the tablet makes adding hyphens etc quite hard.

Posted 08 Mar 2015, 11:08 #10