Network Credentials by raistlin

raistlin
I've just installed Windows 8.1 and I'm trying to setup my backup application.

It asks for my "Network Credentials" before it will allow my to select a network device for backup.

Please, can somebody tell me what Network Credentials are, and where I might discover mine?

Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 30 Oct 2013, 17:59 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Seems there is a CP called "credential manager" in which you manually store user names and passwords for network access ands other applications.

Mac uses something similar "Keychain", whenever a user name and password is required it offers to store them in the keychain for future automatic use.

Hope this helps.

Posted 30 Oct 2013, 18:08 #2 

raistlin
Thanks Mick.

Unfortunately, I never actually generated any credentials, neither was I asked to so the infernal machine must make up something arbitrary to suit. Trouble is, it never told me what it chose.

So I'm still stuck... but have to say going off Windows 8.1 by the minute. I feel a re-install of Windows 7 fast approaching :)
Paul

Posted 30 Oct 2013, 18:48 #3 

Jürgen
Paul, the network credentials will be your user account name combined with the computer name (domain name in larger commercial network environments). Something like myComputer\myAccount with a backslash in between. Sometimes a forward slash does work, too.

Posted 30 Oct 2013, 20:41 #4 

raistlin
Thanks Jürgen :)
Paul

Posted 30 Oct 2013, 20:56 #5