Network connections to Windows 7 PC by raistlin

raistlin
For some reason I seem to have a mental block about this:-

My non-windows 7 PCs on the network can see my Windows 7 PC but when attempting to open a drive require a password. My Windows 7 PC doesn't have a password so please can anybody tell me how I can get my Windows 7 PC to open itself up to the other PCs on my network?

All drives have sharing enabled.

BTW, My Windows 7 PC can gain access to my Windows XP PCs with no problem at all.

Thanks
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 23 Jul 2011, 15:53 #1 

raistlin
OK, I have managed to stop Windows 7 requiring a password. NOW it denies access to each drive telling me I might not have permission to use the resource.

This is getting bloody ridiculous.

Please can somebody tell me what exactly I'm supposed to do so that I can get one PC to look at the contents of another PC which is only about 3 feet away?

I've checked the drives on my Windows 7 PC and they are all enabled for sharing with full permissions for everybody.

What more does it need please?
Paul

Posted 24 Jul 2011, 11:36 #2 

Jürgen
Paul, you'll need a password indeed. Windows refuses any connections, if the used account doesn't have a password protection. To share documents In a workgroup environment every PC should have one common user account with the same password. Or in other words, every user, who wants to access a share on another PC of the workgroup, has to have the same account and password on the remote PC.

Posted 24 Jul 2011, 12:29 #3 

raistlin
OK Jürgen, Thanks :)

So I'll HAVE to give myself a password on the Windows 7 PC and then use the same on the other network PCs?
Paul

Posted 24 Jul 2011, 14:59 #4 

raistlin
OK - all sorted now thanks :)
Paul

Posted 24 Jul 2011, 15:17 #5 

Jürgen
Nice to see that's working now. :)