Network cable by Duncan

Duncan
Hopefully some experts out there on none car wiring.

I need to add some extra network points around the house. These will be used for video and audio streaming (iPlayer and the like).

I need to buy some network cable to do this. So:

What's the difference between Cat 5e and Cat 6? If Cat 6 is better, is it worth me spending the extra to future proof? Or does it not work like that? Router is gigabit, and some of the hosts will be too.

Is there an easy way to tell if a seller is selling the solid cored (like I need) or the stranded (used for patch cables).

Has anyone got any favourite sellers. Ebay is easiest but the prices and sellers seem to vary so much. Only need 20m ish, but will need more in the future so looking to buy 50 or 100m.

Posted 06 Dec 2010, 20:09 #1 

MN190
Is wireless definetly not an option?

Posted 06 Dec 2010, 20:14 #2 

Duncan
MN190 wrote:Is wireless definetly not an option?

Yes it could be, but a relatively expensive one compared to a bit of wire. For at least one device, it would have to be homeplug type wireless, as the USB option would have to be bought from Panasonic (it's a TV).

I already have cable to some points, and enough cable into the loft, just need to bring it down at a couple of points.

Posted 06 Dec 2010, 20:20 #3 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Either will do the job, just make sure it's solid core for the run between jboxes. Fly leads use multi strand core. Have a word with the Kandyman.

Posted 06 Dec 2010, 20:26 #4 

Duncan
Mick wrote:Either will do the job, just make sure it's solid core for the run between jboxes. Fly leads use multi strand core. Have a word with the Kandyman.

Yes, I was trying to get the solid. Just that most ebay ads don't say which they are selling.

I'll PM Andy, but ask him to respond here if he will as it may help someone else.

Posted 06 Dec 2010, 20:38 #5 

kandyman
Hi guys,

As Mick's says stranded cable is used for flyleads and patch leads as they stand up better to been moved about solid cable is made of 24 awg solid core and is used from end to end.

Cat6 is the next step up from cat5e but I don't think you would need cat6 to run the apps you want.

I you drop me a pm with the lengths of cable you need and if you want RJ45 crimp plugs and I'll sort some out for you but we can sort this out in PM.

Posted 06 Dec 2010, 20:57 #6 

Gren 24
Hi Duncan,

Did try to send you a PM just gone in my out box not sent messages.

If it is of any Help have you tried J C Computing 43 Eastgate Street Stafford Tel 01785 618792. I have used them a few times and found them vary knowledgeable and they seem to be able to get the thing you need and at a good price, maybe worth a phone or call in.They are vary helpful.

All the best with it and maybe see you around Stafford one day.

Rgds

Les

All the best with it and bybe

Posted 07 Dec 2010, 20:35 #7 

Duncan
Gren. Thanks, did get your PM (and replied).

The PM you sent will stay in your outbox until I read it. If you check now, it should have moved to sent.

I do use JC for some things, not sure they'd stock this kind of cable as it's not just a connecting lead. Normally sold in 300 metre rolls.

I keep looking out for you. Only usually in town at the weekends, myself. Pretty regular Saturday mornings in Sainsburys car park, though not often in the 75.

Posted 07 Dec 2010, 20:56 #8 

kandyman
Hi Duncan,

Sorry I never got round to calling you yesterday, I'll give you a call this evening at 6:30pm.

Posted 08 Dec 2010, 17:46 #9 

Duncan
No probs, no rush.

Duncan.

Posted 08 Dec 2010, 19:23 #10