National meets by goodlittlewifey

goodlittlewifey
Having noticed how many members we now have on this site, surely we have enough members to organise a National meet for possibly the summer time,
Is there a lot of work involved in organising National Meet,

Posted 07 Jul 2010, 23:37 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
An organised national meet is a proverbial pain in the fundament. Firstly finding a venue at this time of year is not that easy, due to most being booked already. PLI has to be purchased as a requirement, depending on venue. It's no fun at all for those crewing the meet, except the evening before at hotel meal.
There are loads of local meets already on for this summer and early autumn so any attempt at a big organised meet is bound to clash.
IMHO this year is not a good option but for next late spring, summer something spectacular could be on the cards. No promises as we never know what can happen but with enough lead time, fore thought and input from members definitely a doable option. Especially the input from members part.
Having said all that, large local meets are much preferred as they can be many and various and could include weekend hotel stay and need very little organising if any, a thread on here is usually all that's necessary. Essentially it's picking a good venue and a long enough lead time to make them work.

Posted 07 Jul 2010, 23:58 #2 

goodlittlewifey
thanks for the reply Mick x

Posted 08 Jul 2010, 00:02 #3 

James.uk
I agree with Mick. I met far more people at any local meet than I did at the "National" Cosford meeting. peeps were all sread out at Cosford, i didn't really get to know anyone, finally bumped into Jules and his parents and spent my time with them. :)

Posted 08 Jul 2010, 00:35 #4 

Bernard
James.uk wrote:I agree with Mick. I met far more people at any local meet than I did at the "National" Cosford meeting. peeps were all sread out at Cosford, i didn't really get to know anyone, finally bumped into Jules and his parents and spent my time with them. :)

That is certainly true but I have to say that I feel there is more of an 'atmosphere' about a national meeting. Bit like going to the Albert Hall rather than the Village Hall I suppose.

Also most of the National meets that I have been to have been based at a museum which, although very ineresting, does split people from the cars. Maybe this is the problem.

Certainly I got to chat to many more at Peterborough last year where there were fewer other distractions.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 08 Jul 2010, 00:50 #5 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Bernard wrote:
James.uk wrote:I agree with Mick. I met far more people at any local meet than I did at the "National" Cosford meeting. peeps were all sread out at Cosford, i didn't really get to know anyone, finally bumped into Jules and his parents and spent my time with them. :)

That is certainly true but I have to say that I feel there is more of an 'atmosphere' about a national meeting. Bit like going to the Albert Hall rather than the Village Hall I suppose.

Also most of the National meets that I have been to have been based at a museum which, although very ineresting, does split people from the cars. Maybe this is the problem.

Certainly I got to chat to many more at Peterborough last year where there were fewer other distractions.

The point of having such meets at museum type venues is to make them an all weather attraction. Whereas an open park venue such as the one I organised at Nene Park is almost totally weather dependant. Hence my saying in another post, late spring to summer is the optimum time for such an event, even so can be washed out, it's a chance you have to take and do a fair amount of hoping. :)
That one was a good size and the car park was just far enough out of the way to make it fairly intimate.

Posted 08 Jul 2010, 00:59 #6 

starbug2
we can a meet at yours . get the bacon on.......

Posted 08 Jul 2010, 08:20 #7