'N' Gauge railways? by Zeb

Zeb
Anybody have any experience of this size / type of model railway?

(Not for me.....for my son.. ;) )

Posted 30 Aug 2010, 20:35 #1 

raistlin
I had many years experience with N gauge Carl

What do you want to know?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 30 Aug 2010, 20:41 #2 

Zeb
raistlin wrote:I had many years experience with N gauge Carl

What do you want to know?

I never knew! :D

There seem to be many makes (of which I have not heard) of trains and track etc. What would you consider to be a reliable, well made make and will it all be manageable for a careful / gentle young person?

Is he better starting from scratch or getting something someone has already put much of the work into in terms of layout / landscaping etc?

Posted 30 Aug 2010, 20:46 #3 

Ragman
Odd posted a response but it never appeared

I used to be into N Gauge - many years ago

Oddly found some bits and bobs in the loft while clearing out for the forthcoming house move, yours if you want them

I always focussed on peco kit!

Posted 30 Aug 2010, 20:51 #4 

JohnDotCom
Unfortunately just OO and O gauge for me as well as full sized engines. ;) :gmc:
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 30 Aug 2010, 20:55 #5 

Zeb
Ragman wrote:Odd posted a response but it never appeared

I used to be into N Gauge - many years ago

Oddly found some bits and bobs in the loft while clearing out for the forthcoming house move, yours if you want them

I always focussed on peco kit!

What a nice bloke you are Mr Ragman... :D Yes please!

Posted 30 Aug 2010, 21:06 #6 

Ragman
Pm me you address Carl and I'll sort it out during the week - no idea what's there so bit of a lucky dip

Posted 30 Aug 2010, 21:11 #7 

Zeb
Ragman wrote:Pm me you address Carl and I'll sort it out during the week - no idea what's there so bit of a lucky dip

Done...lucky dip sounds fine to me...it'll give him something to be going on with..... :D

Posted 30 Aug 2010, 21:15 #8 

JakeWilson
Glad to see he's not been consumed by an Xbox supplied by an evil member on here! :?

Posted 30 Aug 2010, 21:38 #9 

raistlin
If you're intending modeling UK railways Carl, Grafar and Peco are the way to go in my view.

Not the ideal way to start for a very young child though as some of the kit can be quite delicate.

How old is he?

Steam, diesel / electric?
Paul

Posted 30 Aug 2010, 21:45 #10 

Zeb
JakeWilson wrote:Glad to see he's not been consumed by an Xbox supplied by an evil member on here! :?

T'is a delicate balance Jake...'twixt screen and real life......(only way I will get a go on the Xbox too! :lol: )

Posted 30 Aug 2010, 22:01 #11 

Zeb
raistlin wrote:If you're intending modeling UK railways Carl, Grafar and Peco are the way to go in my view.

Not the ideal way to start for a very young child though as some of the kit can be quite delicate.

How old is he?

Steam, diesel / electric?

Thanks for the names...

He is 10...and has a surprising light touch with this sort of thing...
He has an OO scale Flying Scotsman...lovely set but just takes up too much room to be up permanently- on its board it is 6' by 4'....he is into steam and diesel...dunno why diesel?

Posted 30 Aug 2010, 22:04 #12 

raistlin
Apparently, Grafar are now called Farish Carl :(

I was successfully working with N gauge from the age of 11 so there shouldn't be a problem.
Paul

Posted 31 Aug 2010, 05:40 #13 

Zeb
raistlin wrote:Apparently, Grafar are now called Farish Carl :(

I was successfully working with N gauge from the age of 11 so there shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks Paul....it is his birthday in November...one has to plan ahead for these things... :?

Posted 31 Aug 2010, 07:01 #14 

Bernard
Zeb wrote:
(Not for me.....for my son.. ;) )

Oh yeah! Of course it is. Ho, hum! ;)
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 31 Aug 2010, 08:24 #15