My Old EGR Bypass by ceedy

ceedy
I finally got round to modifying my standard EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve) Valve, ( blocking off and machining out) ..
And I've just recently put it on the ZT ( taken me a year to do it? )

So my homemade EGR bypass is now no longer needed ..
its probably not quite as cosmetically pleasing to the eye ?? ..as retail types , but it works and has done best part of 10,000 miles without any problems.

I used the only tubing I had, which was a little larger than standard, and it tapers slightly going onto the flange. this make the rubber tube a tight fit , but it does go on ok .

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk74/ceedy44/egr/

£16 delivered ..

Chris
Got one for Me , Then one for her, and now a big one for me again, All BLOO! Well saves on the touch up paint, Now Number one son's Spoilt it all by getting a Firefrost 1.8T

Posted 07 Jul 2011, 19:16 #1 

Last edited by SpongeBob on 08 Jul 2011, 11:58, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed strange URL that opened the smilies pop-up box

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Chris what was needed to modify the standard EGR and what did it look like once finished,any photos cheers Arctic
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 11 Jul 2011, 09:38 #2 

Last edited by Arctic on 11 Jul 2011, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.

ceedy
It looked like this ..Image

Luckily I still have my old lathe from my Racing years .

I machined it out to lose the lump in the middle .
Then made an Aluminium bung that was pressed and epoxied in from the outside down the exhaust tube.

Then machined it out to make it look ok ..

The flat area filed on the edge of the diaphragm was done just to allow the whole thing to fit better in the lathe chuck.

Chris

PS ....Absolutley no difference in performance to the old Bypass, its just looks standard ..
Got one for Me , Then one for her, and now a big one for me again, All BLOO! Well saves on the touch up paint, Now Number one son's Spoilt it all by getting a Firefrost 1.8T

Posted 11 Jul 2011, 10:28 #3 

Arctic
(Trader)
Chris great job and it should look better ie as you say still standard OE this must be cheeper than buying a new black EGR valve and more self satisfying is the little hose tube fitting also sealed off. Arctic
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 11 Jul 2011, 22:32 #4 

ceedy
Still got this bargain !!! why ? .........Bumpity Bump!!!!

Posted 25 Oct 2011, 13:23 #5 

Unclefista
Would a bank transfer be OK ?
Or even a cheque if you remember those ? ;)
I don't have paypal.

I fancy doing as you've done, fit your bypass until I'm bored enough to mod my original one :)

Cheers, Tony

Posted 17 Nov 2011, 22:08 #6 

ceedy
NOW SOLD to M@tt

Posted 18 Nov 2011, 18:30 #7