My 75's Shopping Trolley Handling by MrB

• Related topics: (no related topics)

MrB
Morning all

Having decided that the cold weather is now hopefully over :? I decided to go back to my summer tyres (I know pushing my luck, after all it snowed this time last year). On removing the front wheels I noticed a little play in the passenger side hub and an awful lot (approx 1") of play in driver's side hub. Thing is the car was handling fine, just felt a bit crabby, despite the ball joints being gone on one side and dangerous on t'other.

So a panicked call was made to Andy Willi who duly found me some prices and booked me in for Saturday morning. Had a good morning with John (johnwh) and Andy having new lower arms and bushes fitted and the car tracked up to try cure the crabbing feeling.

However, the car now feels like it has shopping trolley wheels. I know everything was fitted and tightened up on Saturday, I was there watching and assisting where possible. I noticed it on the drive home, but thought it was possibly just the suspension settling down, or maybe my tyres needed their pressures adjusting? However, I have checked my tyre pressures daily and they are spot on.

The car lurches from side to side with any bump or undulation in the road. Sometimes it tightens without any steering wheel movement from me on a long constant radius turn. It wanders on a straight road if it is not billiard table smooth also.

There is a knocking from thedriver's side, I assume I may need a new drop-link on that side. However, I have had these go before without them ever affecting the handling.

I'll be giving Andy a call to see if he can think of anything. He did mention the steering rack felt a little warn, but the handling wasn't like this on completely knackered lower arms.

I am at a loss as to what could be causing it. Has anyone any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 29 Mar 2011, 08:53 #1 

Last edited by MrB on 31 Mar 2011, 12:42, edited 1 time in total.

Zeb
Take it back to where you got it fixed....best let them have another look-see....

Posted 29 Mar 2011, 22:01 #2 

MrB
I got the front end up in the air on Tuesday evening and noticed some sideways play, movement when pulling on the front of the tyre. :cry: Couldn't really tell what was causing it, but it was obvious it needed a proper looking at on a ramp.

So I duly called Andy and took it back Zeb.

Andy had a good butchers at it and decided we should replace the pinch bolts on both sides as there appeared to be movement in the hub where the ball joint is secured. General concensus being the bolts had stretched and when tightened had reached the end of their thread, meaning they felt and looked tight, but weren't.

So far the new bolts seem to have sorted the problem, car handles much better now. :D
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 31 Mar 2011, 12:45 #3