My 75 lives again! by Chuckles (Page 1 of 2)

Chuckles
I hope!
After two years repairing the electrics following a "swim" in Devon Floods, the car is now running again ready for an MOT (if the number plates arrive in time that is, she is back on the original plate again - lost the originals)
One question that could help finish it off ...
I replaced the AC compressor, condenser and a New ABS (Antilock Braking System) Pump with a new loom section. The only thing wrong now is that the traction control light will not go out.
Am I correct in thinking it (the ECU (Engine Control Unit)) needs telling via a T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) session, it has a new ABS unit to talk to? if so anyone in Dorset can help here?
Chuck; Dorset UK.
Don't take life so seriously.... it is not permanent! I now have its Granddad ... A 1963 P5 Coupe'

Posted 02 Jul 2017, 12:27 #1 

PaulT
The tester can enter the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) number in lieu of the reg number.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 02 Jul 2017, 13:37 #2 

Duncan
I don't think the engine ECU needs telling, no though I could be wrong. However are you sure the replacement ABS module was a traction version?

Posted 02 Jul 2017, 18:48 #3 

Chuckles
Hello Duncan good to hear from you again.
I did stipulate TC on the order and it was a new unit, so here's hoping it is correct. Is there a code or number that would confirm it? I am sure it was the same part number.
I did hear somewhere that it sometimes takes a mile or three for the TC to reset itself. As yet because it is SORN I have not taken it on the road just down the (farm) track.
After the Loom repair and fitting of the new ABS/TC unit all the previous warning lights extinguished which included ABS and Park Brake as well as the TC light. just that the TC light stays on, the switch does nothing.
Chuck; Dorset UK.
Don't take life so seriously.... it is not permanent! I now have its Granddad ... A 1963 P5 Coupe'

Posted 02 Jul 2017, 21:05 #4 

Duncan
The part number is what matters so it seems right. I wonder if being a new part, the ABS / TC itself needs to have some codings written? Not sure myself I'm afraid.

Posted 03 Jul 2017, 10:38 #5 

Chuckles
Well I have now run the car for a few miles in the hope it would educate itself. I have also had the four wheel tracking done, and yes that was well out but 6 miles after the TC light is still on. Perhaps its a trip to four Ashes or if there is a local T4 that knows about these things?
at least it is MOT'd and RFL'd ready to use on the road - legal like!
Chuck; Dorset UK.

Posted 06 Jul 2017, 17:07 #6 

Chuckles
:evil: what an interesting day :evil: :evil: !
I managed to contact the suppliers of the ABS unit and they NOW tell me it is not TC! I am going to wade through my correspondence because I am sure I stipulated TC. It was bought June last year but not fitted until recently.
Any way how does one turn off the TC light on the dash? I did remove Fuse F2 (TC) but no go.
Can this unit be programmed for TC?
If not I have bought a brand new unit, fitted it so it is now S/H. Is there anyone who can use it and can swap for a TC unit (with adjustments of course)? it seem a shame to just remove it when I do get the correct one - I can!
Chuck; Dorset UK.

Posted 07 Jul 2017, 15:23 #7 

Duncan
No it can't be programmed for TC I'm afraid. They are different physically inside. The only way to get rid of the light is to use a T4 and tell the car it doesn't have TC. Then it won't care about the missing signals.

But I thought you said the part number was the same as the old one. Certainly Rimmers show different part numbers for the non-traction, the V6 traction and the diesel traction.

Posted 07 Jul 2017, 15:48 #8 

Chuckles
Duncan the model number is BOSCH UNIT SRB101290; I was led to believe it was for my 2.0 litre petrol Connie with TC, the trouble is because it was some time ago I have yet to find any initial correspondence. I suppose the lesser or the two evils is to find someone to disable the TC or if I am lucky find the correct ABS/TC unit.
Chuck; Dorset UK.

Posted 07 Jul 2017, 17:38 #9 

Duncan
Yup, that part number is non traction.
https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID001559

Posted 08 Jul 2017, 12:11 #10 

Chuckles
I have received the new unit ordered from Rimmer and although the number SRB101301 is on the box there is no reference to that number being on the ABS unit itself. As this will be the third attempt I want to be 100% sure.
Unfortunately there was no label on the original unit that could be decipherable.
The new unit has the letters on the top R/H of the valve block ML, which I am told is relevant? Other numbers on the top of the valve block are 0 265 224 005 (top left) and 783/21/5/0016 central lower and the underside 972 and C0542.

Under the Black socket part, is a Bosch label 488176 0 265 900 003. Also 20118 and above that in a border 085.

I am still nervous despite assurances from Rimmers' Gary ...." There are only three modulators listed on the parts catalogue which are the one you have ordered listed for traction control (we do not have another one in stock so cannot see what the numbers stamped on it would be) and ones for non traction control and diesel models.
We have plenty of the non traction control unit https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-SRB101291 in stock and above the outlet marked FR they all have MK stamped on and 0 265 222 001 is stamped on them all. We only have one diesel unit in stock https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-SRB101311 and it has MN stamped above the FR outlet and 0265 224 010 stamped on it but only having one unit we cannot confirm if that number remains the same on all diesel units.
We don't sell many of the traction units (only 7 in the past three years) but we haven't had any returned to us as incorrect...."

If anyone has any comments that would be welcomed. I just want to be sure before I fit the new one.
Chuck; Dorset UK.

Posted 11 Jul 2017, 15:30 #11 

PaulT
Try contacting Bosch?
Paul

Posted 12 Jul 2017, 09:48 #12 

Chuckles
Haven't been able to find a contact for Bosch about this unit at the moment, but I am one totally confused person at the moment!

Took out the (faulty ???) ABS unit today and spotted the code in the top R/H corner as being ML which, am I correct in thinking, is a traction Control unit? The Bosch Label is 582145 0 265 900 004 with 20947 and inside a boarder 085
The New one also is ML with a the Bosch Label is 488176 0 205 900 003 with 20118 and inside a boarder 085

The original ABS unit that was on the car is MN, I don't have the black part any more as that was burnt out after the ducking!

So now I am hesitant in fitting the brand new one (as it will then become second-hand ) in case there is another fault - a sensor or something.

How can one tell if there is a faulty sensor - T4? do I carry on and fit the brand new one or refit the existing and try for another fault. These ABS units are expensive, so if I do hang on to the car it will always be a use spare - I suppose.
Chuck; Dorset UK.

Posted 13 Jul 2017, 14:37 #13 

PaulT
You have specified to Rimmers that you want a unit for a vehicle with TC so if you fit it and it turns out to be a non TC unit then Rimmers have supplied you with an incorrect unit so it is their fault so you can return it - they may scream but hold firm.
Paul

Posted 14 Jul 2017, 07:48 #14 

Duncan
The only thing I can help with: I have a V6 none traction where the ABS unit is visible and has MK. I also have a new spare, bought as non-traction and it is also MK. I would say that if the original is MN then you need another MN but they seem to believe MN is for diesels. If so, how come you have an MN on a petrol I wonder?

Posted 14 Jul 2017, 07:53 #15 

Duncan
I just found another thread, which confirms that MN is diesel traction. Paul (Raistlin) fitted an MN version to his car which was diesel and it worked right. I know Rob (Trebor) also retrofitted traction to a diesel but I can't confirm he used MN.

So I would try getting it on a T4 before doing anything else. It might even tell you what version the modulator is.

Posted 14 Jul 2017, 08:03 #16 

Chuckles
That has compounded the problem Duncan - I didn't realise that was a diesel one. All I can say is, in the cars early days history files there was some extensive work done on the engine including removing it - no mention of brakes just heads off, and they used different gaskets for each side!
So that means that either the MN will work on petrol or I was just lucky!

Am I right in thinking (and I am doing a lot of that lately) ABS and Traction control use the same wheel sensors? if it does then the problem must have been in the replacement unit actually being a non TC as you originally suggested., ABS lights are out so that is giving me a clue that probably the sensors on the hubs are OK.

PaulT I did stress the importance with Rimmer and asked them again to repeat confirmation, so I think now I will take the plunge and take the new out of the box!
Regards
Chuck

Just received your last posting Duncan - and puts the cats in the pigeons! do I refit the None TC unit to go to a T4 or still go ahead with the new unit? I favour the latter due to comments earlier - it is just that it is a bit of a pain changing the ABS unit each time!
Chuck; Dorset UK.

Posted 14 Jul 2017, 08:16 #17 

Duncan
That was my point. In spite of what you may have been told, the first replacement you have just taken off sounds like its a petrol traction version. I would put it back on and get it on a T4. I suspect the latest part will be exactly the same since it has the same code.

Edit: the reason I say this, there may be something else wrong for example the wiring to the actuator, or the actuator or sensor itself. In fact since the original ended in smoke it might have damaged something, for example the sensor on the throttle body. This would put the TC light on but not the ABS.

Posted 14 Jul 2017, 08:24 #18 

Chuckles
Point taken Duncan, I will do just that. Thank you
Chuck; Dorset UK.

Posted 14 Jul 2017, 08:34 #19 

Chuckles
I had a T4 session with Chris in Portsmouth who was very helpful. It turned out that the old ABS pump was not talking to or receiving instructions from the main voice! That was corrected including removing a history of minor fault and error messages.

However on the way home I had the sensation that the brakes were continually activated and the TC light kept appearing when the accelerator was depressed. Turing off the TC at the button resumed normal working although I am sure ABS is not active as I tried braking hard on gravel.

I did initially think that maybe a wheel sensor may be at fault or should I bite the bullet and fit the new one, yet to be taken out of its box?

Certainly the N/S wheel gets very hot after a run with the TC switch in the run position. The TC controlling unit on the bulkhead did not have any broken teeth as I could see and by turning the wheel part all else moved as I am sure it should. ( added a little Vaseline to make sure it remains so)
Chuck; Dorset UK.

Posted 06 Aug 2017, 09:10 #20