Mr Tata might bring rover back yet by jamesgreen (Page 1 of 2)

jamesgreen

May be wishful thinking but who knows old Mr TATA may just bring Rover back yet.

Posted 08 Sep 2010, 20:43 #1 

payner75t
i would be very, very surprised if rover returns in my lifetime . tata has no need to use it for anything.
the french have invaded my roverspace

Posted 08 Sep 2010, 21:42 #2 

DeuxGazoles
I think it's too late for that, they'd just be digging up bones at the end of the day :?
They seem to be really going somewhere with Jag/LandRover...........investing heavily & producing genuinely nice cars (paintwork could be better)
Geordie Jeans! they're nice & tight especially roond the arse

Posted 08 Sep 2010, 21:50 #3 

MrB
Quick someone email Mr TATA a pic of the 55.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 08 Sep 2010, 22:21 #4 

Chartermark
And he'd have to buy the name off Ford who reputedly paid £50m for it ...

Posted 08 Sep 2010, 23:17 #5 

starbug2
Chartermark wrote:And he'd have to buy the name off Ford who reputedly paid £50m for it ...

tata do own the rover name as it was inc. with buying land rover/jag .

Posted 09 Sep 2010, 06:51 #6 

jamesgreen
DeuxGazoles wrote:I think it's too late for that, they'd just be digging up bones at the end of the day :?
They seem to be really going somewhere with Jag/LandRover...........investing heavily & producing genuinely nice cars (paintwork could be better)

i thinks the jags will get better when the agreement with for ends for panel work and engines ect.
but if they have worked magic with jag and landrover who says they wont try to resurecte the rover brand as a cheaper model in there line up of cars.
food for thought

Posted 09 Sep 2010, 19:13 #7 

Chartermark
[quote="who says they wont try to resurecte the rover brand as a cheaper model in there line up of cars.
food for thought[/quote]

Perhaps they'll revive the 'Rover City' too with a bit of luck.

Posted 09 Sep 2010, 19:39 #8 

jamesgreen
Chartermark wrote:[quote="who says they wont try to resurecte the rover brand as a cheaper model in there line up of cars.
food for thought

Perhaps they'll revive the 'Rover City' too with a bit of luck.[/quote]
only if they want to ruin all the hard work alreadey done at jlr.
if they did do that then they might as well call them selves british leyland the best british crap money can buy.

Posted 09 Sep 2010, 21:36 #9 

andycolm
Aye. Like it or not, Rover is a seriously tarnished name in this country. The average man or woman in the street would run for the hills if they were offered a Rover.
It would be commercial suicide to use the name on these shores... Abroad is a different matter, but here it means exploding headgaskets, boring old peoples cars and general unreliability and un cool ness, when coolness and reliability sells nowadays.

Posted 09 Sep 2010, 22:52 #10 

MrB
Many people have commented to me on what a great looking motor the 75 is and also quite a few saw the pics of the 55 and can't believe Rover didn't put it into production.

So I believe there is an opportunity there for the right product to be released as a Rover.

A new Metro to rival the Mini (stolen by BMW) would be a great thing to see.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 09 Sep 2010, 23:06 #11 

starbug2
on the right car with the right back up the name can be can be used but it would need to be done right or it wont work

Posted 10 Sep 2010, 08:30 #12 

eddiesnow
He wont be able to redo the Rover 75..........

Posted 11 Dec 2010, 16:33 #13 

Tourerfogey
What's the point? Rover is just a name now - and in most people's eyes not a very good one.
I say Rover should rest in peace whilst we all enjoy its swansong - the 75.

Posted 11 Dec 2010, 16:41 #14 

Dallas
I think as Roewe have been doing well in China and people seem to connect Rover with Roewe, plus all the talk and publicity that Roewe have had with the 750 over the passed few years has resurrected the Rover name again, its got folk expecting and I would say welcoming Rover to be reborn.

...........with the Rover owner clubs around with the increasing high numbers in members joining should show the favoritism to the Rover name. :D If you do a caparison with other Car brand fourum's (clubs) you might be quite surprised......

75ZT Community - Members: 486.
The 75 and ZT Owners Club - Members: 12,491.
MG-Rover.org - Members: 86,148.

Compared with others......
Ford Owners Club - Members: 18,350.
The BMW Car Club - Members: 1,302.
Vauxhall Opel Drivers Club - Members: 3,201.
Club Audi - Members: 896.
Mercedes-Benz Owners - Members: 46,738.

You can clearly see the popularity of the Rover brand with MG-Rover.org having by far the most members, more than Ford, BMW and Audi :o :lol: this must have some reflect in wanting Rover to be reborn.

Someone email these figures over to Tata. :hail:

Posted 11 Dec 2010, 21:37 #15 

Last edited by Dallas on 11 Dec 2010, 22:52, edited 1 time in total.

Bermudan 75
I seem to remember that in the 60s and 70s BMW were consider to be a bit of a joke.....

Posted 11 Dec 2010, 21:45 #16 

Tourerfogey
Dallas - I think if you asked the average man in the street they wouldn't have a clue who or what Roewe is

Posted 11 Dec 2010, 22:08 #17 

PaulT
Rover418275 wrote:I seem to remember that in the 60s and 70s BMW were consider to be a bit of a joke.....

Aren't they still or is it just me.....

I find Audi, BMW and Merc drivers driving like arrogant idiots.

Paul
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 11 Dec 2010, 22:22 #18 

Dallas
PaulT wrote:
Rover418275 wrote:I seem to remember that in the 60s and 70s BMW were consider to be a bit of a joke.....

Aren't they still or is it just me.....

I find Audi, BMW and Merc drivers driving like arrogant idiots.

Paul

Ha! :lol: I think they would say the same about us Rover Drivers............. :clap:

Posted 11 Dec 2010, 22:47 #19 

1664Trigger
Mr Tata would be better concentrating on improving his range of passenge vehicles in India, what a load of junk they produce, take for instance the new Nano, reports of engines going on fire as they leave the showroom abound.During a recent three week visit I saw only two Nanos on the roads. Their new purpose built (huge)factory in West Bengal lies empty , they fell out with the local Communist Govt there and moved it elsewhere in India.
God help Jaguar if they decide to build/ assemble in India. No we dont want Mr Tata or anyone else in India building MGs
We gave them the Railways that's good enough :panic:

Posted 12 Dec 2010, 10:04 #20