MOV files not playing correctly ? by Trebor

Trebor
Following my recent accident I have bought a front and rear DVR camera kit for my 75, it was only £36 and appears to be a good piece of kit

The miro SD card i bougt to put in it was a Samsung 32gb from e bay for £12.95, not an expensive card but i thought as it was a known make it would be ok and 32gb is the max the DVR will take.

The DVR records files in MOV format, and I am running Windows 7 on my PC, having enabled Windows Media Player to play MOV files it opens them up but crashes after a short while.

I then tried viewing them via Nero and the same footage is jerky with stops and starts but also stops at the same point that Media Player did, but it doesnt crash just freezes.

My question is could this be the quality of the SD card, which is sold as a class 10 but could be a fake ? I guess a 32gb should cost more than i paid but looking for a bargain as usual.

At the moment i dont have any other SD cards to try in the camera as it takes the micro type and the ones i use in other devices are the normal size ones.

Any thoughts from anyone ?
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 08 Nov 2014, 11:00 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
I'm presuming that you have tried formatting the card.

There are so many faked SD cards out there it is impossible to say whether what you have is or isn't. Most fakes work as intended but as with all these things consistency of quality is missing. I can on only suggest you return the card to the supplier as faulty.
This http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SDSDQU- ... B0084DWCTW for example, if you read the reviews, is praised as perfect by most but decried as fake by many.
I was investigating buying a Go Pro, which are supplied without media card. Reading around the subject, it is recommended to buy Micro SD cards from a known good source. If you buy Sandisk for example and you have a problem the manufacturer will replace the card quibble free. I believe most others offer a similar service. Beware Sandisk are probably the most faked cards available.

BTW it's not just media cards that suffer this problem. Pen drives are also notorious, I bought a good named brand, which failed immediately. Got refund from seller without problem.

Posted 08 Nov 2014, 12:47 #2 

Ajd1
Probably wont help much if the cards faulty but I use Registration viewer for playing back the files.
It makes editing the files very easy, can be found here http://www.registratorviewer.com/index_en.html
Hope this helps a bit.

Andy

Posted 08 Nov 2014, 12:55 #3 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Just done a bit more checking, it seems that if you buy from Amazon and not one of their resellers, fake, or faulty they will refund.

Posted 08 Nov 2014, 13:01 #4 

raistlin
As an aside Rob, which camera setup did you buy?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 08 Nov 2014, 14:52 #5 

Bernard
Shutting the door after the horse etc... but I have just bought a couple of dash cams for our cars following my misadventure last week when I gently slid into the rear of a car without brake lights. I bought some micro SD 16 Mb from Amazon and they work OK. There is sufficient play back time as in reality I will only need to see the previous few minutes in any incident.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 08 Nov 2014, 15:55 #6 

Mad-Monkey
Have you tried vlan player for the videos? Might at a push be a codec issue as wmp is a bit naff. I had to install countless codecs to get anything viewable sometime ago. Gave up and used vlan player as it copes better with different types of encoding.

Posted 08 Nov 2014, 16:15 #7 

Mick
(Site Admin)
I agree David, worth a try with VLC

Posted 08 Nov 2014, 16:31 #8 

Trebor
Thanks for the advice guys will look into some of the options available, i was going to try registration viewer but backed off when i got a "WOAA do you really want to go there" from Mcaffee.

This is the one i bought Paul and Devilish has since ordered one and a few owners on the OC have them and all happy

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351014927475? ... EBIDX%3AIT

It sits nicely at the top of the screen out of the way and slots in and out of an adhesive pad and imo is much better than the suction type you get with a sat nav as it is far less intrusive, mine is hard wired and auto starts on starting the car. I tucked the rear camera wire into the headlining and mounted the rear camera inside the top of the rear screen on the 3rd brake light cover
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 08 Nov 2014, 17:49 #9 

Last edited by Trebor on 08 Nov 2014, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.

Mad-Monkey
The software is free BTW so always a good first try! :)

Posted 08 Nov 2014, 17:53 #10 

Trebor
thanks Dave, VLC is a free download and just got it, mind you had to negotiate past all and sundry it wanted to also install by unticking this and not agreeing that etc.

I have now found another micro card a Kingston one, only 2gb but good enough for me to try out in the camera, i have now formatted both cards and will try both on playback with media player and VLC and report back when done
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 08 Nov 2014, 18:24 #11 

Last edited by Trebor on 08 Nov 2014, 18:35, edited 1 time in total.

Mick
(Site Admin)
Any chance of seeing output quality from this device, when you have it running?

Posted 08 Nov 2014, 18:32 #12 

Trebor
Mick, if you will allow me a link to the OC I started a thread on there for recommendations and Jubarelly posted some footage at post 18

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s ... 120&page=2

My rear camera has parking lines on whereas the footage above doesnt and is better as parking lines are not needed for these purposes.

My rear footage is also mirrored whereas the above isnt but im hoping thats a setting somewhere as he has the same kit
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 08 Nov 2014, 18:41 #13 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Cheers Rob, thanks. :)

Posted 08 Nov 2014, 23:54 #14