MoT & Power wash system by Bermudan 75 (Page 1 of 3)

Bermudan 75
At the nanomeet on Sunday I was told that new MoT regulations require a power wash system to be working if fitted. Mine is not fully installed and as the MoT is due in a fortnight I thought it best to check this info out.

On the AA website there is a section about the new MoT regs and it is reproduced/copied below:

Lighting
Products on the lens or light source that obviously reduce the light's intensity or change its colour will become a reason for failure – applies to front/rear position lamps, registration plate lamps, stop lamps, rear fog and direction indicators,

Headlight requirements are updated to take account of the particular characteristics of High Intensity Discharge (HID (High Intensity Discharge)) lamps.

HID headlights can cause dazzle if they are dirty or aimed too high, so they are generally (if light output exceeds 2000 lumens) fitted in conjunction with headlamp cleaning and levelling systems. Where HID or LED (Light Emitting Diode) dipped beam headlamps are fitted the tester will switch on the headlamps and check the operation of any headlamp levelling and cleaning devices fitted.

The car will fail if a headlamp levelling or cleaning device is inoperative or otherwise obviously defective.

So it seems that as my car has ordinary headlamps the powerwash system does not fall within the new regulations.

Cheers

Mike

Posted 16 Sep 2013, 17:37 #1 

raistlin
What still needs to be done on yours Mike?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 16 Sep 2013, 17:55 #2 

DaveyC
MOT regs are mind bending....... If they had to be working I would just take feed off the washer pump, so they worked when they windscreen washers were activated. ;-)

Posted 16 Sep 2013, 18:27 #3 

Duncan
DaveyC wrote:MOT regs are mind bending....... If they had to be working I would just take feed off the washer pump, so they worked when they windscreen washers were activated. ;-)

But then none will work as you will blow the fuse. The headlamp pump takes loads more current than the screen washer. If it did work you would empty your wash tank in a second or two.

Posted 16 Sep 2013, 19:25 #4 

Bermudan 75
raistlin wrote:What still needs to be done on yours Mike?

Fit a new high pressure pump, BCU (Body Control Unit) BUS and a T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) session, no hurry though.

Cheers

Mike

Posted 16 Sep 2013, 21:57 #5 

raistlin
Why do you need a BCU Mike?
Paul

Posted 17 Sep 2013, 08:08 #6 

Cockaa
BBUS maybe?
I'm not quite right you know.........

Posted 17 Sep 2013, 11:51 #7 

raistlin
Cockaa wrote:BBUS maybe?

AH - I see what you mean :)

Mike, if the wiring is there we can sort out your headlight wash in fairly short order, providing either Duncan or David is willing to pop over.
Paul

Posted 17 Sep 2013, 11:59 #8 

Bermudan 75
Oh yes BBUS, :em: It can wait until the Teddy Bear meet, I am in no hurry to have it completed. Thanks for the idea, Paul.

Cheers

Mike

Posted 17 Sep 2013, 18:15 #9 

raistlin
So what are you going to do about your MOT Mike?
Paul

Posted 17 Sep 2013, 18:25 #10 

Duncan
I can now do the ZCS coding changes required. I did one Sunday. Teddybears should be OK, but I'm busy every weekend until November!

Posted 17 Sep 2013, 18:26 #11 

Cockaa
Teddybears is October Duncan ;)

Posted 17 Sep 2013, 18:28 #12 

Duncan
Cockaa wrote:Teddybears is October Duncan ;)

Yes, I know. That's one of the weekends before November that's full!

Posted 17 Sep 2013, 18:40 #13 

Cockaa
Apologies Duncan, think i read it wrong :oops:

Posted 17 Sep 2013, 20:37 #14 

Bermudan 75
raistlin wrote:So what are you going to do about your MOT Mike?

As I understand it from the AA website, the power wash is only part of the MoT if you have HID lights, mine are standard so I should be ok.

Cheers

Mike

Posted 17 Sep 2013, 21:05 #15 

raistlin
OK Mike- got it :)
Paul

Posted 17 Sep 2013, 22:06 #16 

Arctic
(Trader)
Cockaa wrote:BBUS maybe?

Hi Nige
When are you going to fit your power wash head lamp washers and did you find out it the marking were there to dremel out, also am i right in saying that the BBUS should not be fitted until it is T4 and do you have the wiring on your car for this i can not remeber the last time we looked if so this to could be a teddy bear modification, or maybe get the washer and hoses in place before cutting down the time needed on the day Arctic. :clap:
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 17 Sep 2013, 22:48 #17 

Cockaa
The wiring is already in position & the washer jet positions are marked on the inside of the bumper Steve.
I will be fitting the washer jets, bottle & pipework next week so hopefully can get this t4'd at teddybears & will be another job done & dusted.
Not sure about when to fit the bbus though :(

Posted 18 Sep 2013, 05:49 #18 

kandyman
The BBUS has to be fitted when your at the nano, if the BBUS is fitted before hand it'll set the horn off and won't stop.

Posted 18 Sep 2013, 07:07 #19 

Duncan
Yes don't fit the BBUS before the T4, but you don't have to fit it straight away either. It's just you need to disconnect the existing horn or it will sound every time you use powerwash!

Posted 18 Sep 2013, 16:59 #20