MOT and Tax question by Dave

Dave
Well, tax really...

Gill's MX5 failed it's MOT this week (see here) It's been done today for collection after re-test this afternoon

The MOT runs out on Monday which is academic as it's being done today, but more pertinently, tax runs out next Wednesday. I'd like to tax online (saves finding documents and going to Post Office!) but wary of tax running out before disc comes back. When we've done this in the past, it's come in well less than a week, but worried in case it didn't

I seem to recall a "grace" period for online applications, which allows for postage. Did I dream this?

Posted 25 Jun 2010, 11:30 #1 

Pedro
This is taken from the Q & A on the DVLA website: http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPor ... QUESTION_8

I have not received the tax disc. Can I use the vehicle without the tax disc displayed?

When you apply for a tax disc online or by using our phone service you are able to legally continue to drive your vehicle for up to 5 days after the tax disc has expired while you wait for the new tax disc to arrive. This will only apply when you have applied for a new tax disc before the current one expires. You should continue to display the expired disc on your vehicle, until the new one arrives.
Peter

If all else fails......read the instructions.

Posted 25 Jun 2010, 12:08 #2 

PaulT
As far as I am aware, in days gone by you had 15 days from the expiry to re-tax a car. Today though it is an offence not to display a valid tax disc and, i believe it is a case that 1 minute past midnight after the last day of the month it appears as untaxed to the police using number plate recognition.

I presume they changed the rules because people would be thinking 'i've got away with it for half the month let's see if I can for the whole month'
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 25 Jun 2010, 12:10 #3 

Tourerfogey
Pedro is right - and I would also carry the email confirmation of purchase in the car until the tax disc arrives.

Posted 25 Jun 2010, 12:58 #4 

Dave
Pedro wrote:This is taken from the Q & A on the DVLA website: http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPor ... QUESTION_8

I have not received the tax disc. Can I use the vehicle without the tax disc displayed?

When you apply for a tax disc online or by using our phone service you are able to legally continue to drive your vehicle for up to 5 days after the tax disc has expired while you wait for the new tax disc to arrive. This will only apply when you have applied for a new tax disc before the current one expires. You should continue to display the expired disc on your vehicle, until the new one arrives.

Sounds good to me! So we should have until 5th July, and with a lot of luck, we'll be on hols then anyway!!!!!

Posted 25 Jun 2010, 13:26 #5