Most dangerous roads in the UK... by Zeb (Page 1 of 2)

Zeb
Mostly not far from Matlock Bath...

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/23052011/36/br ... med-0.html

Some of these ARE great biking roads....which is probably why they are great crashing roads too....on a bike or in a car...

Posted 23 May 2011, 15:14 #1 

Dave
Seems we are quite safe here in Lincolnshire then Carl!

Posted 23 May 2011, 18:13 #2 

Martin
Well I'll soon put a stop to that then :shock: :shock:
MGZT-T V8 SUPERCHARGED Le Mans Green

Posted 23 May 2011, 18:37 #3 

JakeWilson
Martin wrote:Well I'll soon put a stop to that then :shock: :shock:

Race yer, race yer (ok, I'll loose but it's just for the crack!)

Posted 23 May 2011, 18:44 #4 

Tourerfogey
If the traffic cop I spoke to a while back is anything to go by then the official police line is that there is no such thing as a dangerous road, only dangerous drivers . . . .

Posted 23 May 2011, 19:30 #5 

SpongeBob
Without wanting to sound selfish at those who may have lost their lives at the hands of others I would agree that it's not the road at fault but the drivers. Moreover, the drivers who either don't pay attention or drive too fast for the conditions and cannot stop/avoid a collision.

I've said it before but I'll say it again - we need more driver education in this country.

Posted 23 May 2011, 19:35 #6 

JohnDotCom
Tourerfogey wrote:If the traffic cop I spoke to a while back is anything to go by then the official police line is that there is no such thing as a dangerous road, only dangerous drivers . . . .

Very much agree with your comment TF :-o
Found this on many fatal accidents I attended when a Police Officer then later a Scenes of Crime Officer (Now known as CSI).
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 23 May 2011, 19:41 #7 

stevemac
Tourerfogey wrote:If the traffic cop I spoke to a while back is anything to go by then the official police line is that there is no such thing as a dangerous road, only dangerous drivers . . . .

Not strictly true. There are some roads that because of the design or build are dangerous. I remember slipping off my motorbike on a wet road in Bicester, right in front of a Policeman (so I was definitely riding carefully :) ) He told me that they had complained to the council on numerous occasions to change the surface. Of course, from then on I was extra careful on that stretch but sometimes even the best of drivers can't read unusual road conditions.
Steve
People call me average, but I think that's mean!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Posted 24 May 2011, 12:29 #8 

James.uk
Apparently roads are now being graded as to their safety factor. W saw a youtube done by the TV peeps (not top gear, the other one) and they made some interesting comments. For e.g. a large tree at the roadside on a sharp bend is a danger, and should be either removed or have a crash barrier round it..

I can see the point. But doubt anything will ever be done about it.. Just bear in mind that if for some reason you are going to crash, try not to hit something solid!! :(

Posted 24 May 2011, 14:35 #9 

Duncan
And remember even baby trees are more solid than they look.

Posted 24 May 2011, 18:52 #10 

DeuxGazoles
Duncan wrote:And remember even baby trees are more solid than they look.

I can vouch for that :em:
Geordie Jeans! they're nice & tight especially roond the arse

Posted 24 May 2011, 21:31 #11 

Tourerfogey
Are you saying we should avoid the trees and go for the pedestrians?

Actually, having said that I presume that pedestrians are rather like dogs when it comes to hitting them in cars . . . a few years back my brother, driving a Vauxhall Belmont, hit a stray dog that was wandering on the motorway in the early hours of the morning - the Belmont was a right-off (unfortunately the dog didn't survive either).

Posted 24 May 2011, 21:46 #12 

James.uk
Yep, with a bit of luck pedestrians will bounce off without bringing your car to a halt in 2 feet or less!

The disadvantage is you will get sued by any survivors.. Still, you can always declare for bankruptcy innit, and you will be alive to hear the case.. heh heh..

Posted 25 May 2011, 01:13 #13 

JohnDotCom
Hitting a Deer on the A1 can wreck your radiator and bonnet. :-o :gmc:
John

I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 25 May 2011, 14:16 #14 

James.uk
Try hitting him on the A55 John, it might not be so bad.. :).
>>>

Posted 25 May 2011, 14:50 #15 

JohnDotCom
Generally Badgers on the A55. :) :gmc:
John

Posted 25 May 2011, 14:51 #16 

Bermudan 75
and many a pheasant....have been tempted a few times to try a bit of road kill.

:stirer:

Posted 25 May 2011, 17:27 #17 

kandyman
I would have to say that this is the most dangerous road at the moment :( http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/90421 ... sh/?ref=mr

The guy that died was seeing my mate/bosses daughter, and the driver that is still in hospital is a coma is a ex work colleague.

Posted 25 May 2011, 19:27 #18 

Tourerfogey
That sort of brings the seriousness (is that actually a word?) of the point home with a bang doesn't it.

Posted 25 May 2011, 19:50 #19 

Last edited by Tourerfogey on 25 May 2011, 19:51, edited 1 time in total.

Duncan
Rover418275 wrote:and many a pheasant....have been tempted a few times to try a bit of road kill.

:stirer:

The tourer survived a squirrel strike this morning. Not quite as nasty as deer or badger.

Posted 25 May 2011, 21:24 #20