More aviation by raistlin

raistlin
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 13 Dec 2011, 17:29 #1 

PaulT
Following the Governments method of doing away with anything that becomes too expensive, in view of the MPs wanting their gravy boat back with the additional expense that will involve should we not do away with them?

I was reading an article about the Argentinians imposing restrictions around the Falklands and that Britain has adequate defences should they try anything - if I remember correctly it amounted to 3 pea shooters and a catapult.

Paul
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 14 Dec 2011, 10:23 #2 

podge
This brings back sad memories of my all time favourite,albeit shortlived,aeroplane Paul...............
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTM4ve3vZYY
Talk about a criminal act of destruction...................................

Posted 14 Dec 2011, 23:34 #3 

geesmith
Slightly off topic but the rate of roll of the Vulcan was astonishing!

...now back to having allowed the demolition crew into power.

Posted 15 Dec 2011, 00:03 #4 

raistlin
podge wrote:This brings back sad memories of my all time favourite,albeit shortlived,aeroplane Paul...............
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTM4ve3vZYY
Talk about a criminal act of destruction...................................

Yes :( As you know, I had the honour to examine the analog instruments in TSR2 and will forever be amazed at the workmanship involved. I quite often use the TSR2 as an example when lecturing on aerodynamics. Not that it is a particularly good vehicle but just so I can find the excuse to run some video of it :)

I still believe the yanks were behind the termination of the TSR2 project.

Nimrod, of course, is a rather special aeroplane to me because I worked on every one in the fleet, including the sneaky beaky R1 variant, from the days when they were painted white and grey and weren't designated MR1 because there wasn't an MR2 ;) right upto the beginning of the transition to Mk4. In fact, I was even promised a VIP flight in an operational Mk4 as soon as they were delivered to Kinloss.
Paul

Posted 15 Dec 2011, 09:58 #5 

podge
I have to agree ref the instruments,I managed to hang on to one or two from a certain fast airliner of the same period,all superbly made by hand.As for those the other side of the pond and the F1-11 replacement for TSR-2...........enough said!

Posted 15 Dec 2011, 12:10 #6 

geesmith
So it's probably all down to whose best at serving up to a backhand. :(

You could almost imagine politicians being issued with a large arrow to indicate where their back pocket is .... oh, and a milking stool.

Posted 15 Dec 2011, 13:30 #7 

Bermudan 75
I believe that the TSR-2 was killed off by an inept (nothing unusual there) government,USA and inter service rivalry. Navy did not like the idea of RAF having the nuclear deterant, Lord Mountbatten was particularly anti TSR-2. RAF was promised the F1-11, subsequently cancelled to be replaced by expensive anglicised Phantoms. For low level capability Buccaneer probably came closest to replacing the TSR-2.

Posted 15 Dec 2011, 15:06 #8 

raistlin
podge wrote:I managed to hang on to one or two from a certain fast airliner of the same period

Hmm... I have a control yoke from the same :lol:
Paul

Posted 15 Dec 2011, 15:44 #9 

JohnDotCom
raistlin wrote:
podge wrote:I managed to hang on to one or two from a certain fast airliner of the same period

Hmm... I have a control yoke from the same :lol:

.....and I'm keeping quiet! ;)
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 15 Dec 2011, 16:18 #10 

podge
Ha....not like you John! :)

Posted 16 Dec 2011, 00:35 #11