Mondeo Mount on my CDTI Auto by ceedy

ceedy
I fitted a New mondeo mount to my Auto dizzle yesterday and frankly , at the moment its awful ..
a bit more vibration generally ..
But the main Problem is when I hold the car on the footbrake and pop it in reverse, the whole car shudders like a goodun'.
I can only think either the new rubber is way to stiff ? or maybe the small bush ( where the bracket clearance is the
smallest) is moving too much and allowing the alloy frame to touch the chassis bracket ?.
Anyone got any thoughts on this ??

Chris
Got one for Me , Then one for her, and now a big one for me again, All BLOO! Well saves on the touch up paint, Now Number one son's Spoilt it all by getting a Firefrost 1.8T

Posted 19 Aug 2012, 15:44 #1 

MrDoodles
Fit the proper mount? :confused:

Posted 19 Aug 2012, 19:53 #2 

Tourerfogey
MrDoodles wrote:Fit the proper mount? :confused:

Don't think they were available at one point, hence the 'Mondeo solution' - are they 'back in stock' now?

Posted 20 Aug 2012, 21:33 #3 

MrDoodles
Tourerfogey wrote:
MrDoodles wrote:Fit the proper mount? :confused:

Don't think they were available at one point, hence the 'Mondeo solution' - are they 'back in stock' now?

What, like this one? :confused:

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-KKH101402

Posted 21 Aug 2012, 18:44 #4 

ceedy
Well trying to avoid forking out nearly 90 quids for a proper mount :-D
As MG went in for an Oil change last week and we found cracks in both front tyres .. :shock:
So expecting bigger bill :(

Off with under tray today as its been sunny out .. and can see the problem the Small end of the Mondeo Mount is really just too big in diameter to fit in , there is a couple of Mm clearance but this actual mount has a rather soft rubber in the small end , so it does does most of the movement when under load and causes the aluminium frame to hit the bracket when under load in reverse .
Looking at it . remove metal from the bracket would seem to be the best way tot mod it . but don't have a grinderette or even 240v in the road to drive one. Might try thinning down the mount but nut sure if there is enough metal there.

So having the time , the materials and the inclination I've done a temporary mod to the original.

I've had a piece of sound deadening rubber off the side of a nuclear Submarine, my secret how I got it :-D

so machined this up to fit along with a bit of nylon as spacers to fit MG frame and stuck it in.

As its a solid bush it a tiny bit stiffer than the original , but doesn't hit anything.
And far smoother than the unmodded Mondeo one ..

PASS on its longevity though .???.

Pic's
new Sooper mount :-D

In place.

The two small ends for comparison..

As an Aside ... I did want to reseal a joint ( whilst doing my RR Booster spring) found my sealant had Gone off .. the whole cartridge had gone solid, But it made a lovely block of rubber , :-D , quite hard to cut , impossible to tear and pretty dam stiff ... it was a Tube of fixall MS Polymer I used to fix and seal my Old Fiat Windsceeen and other odd bits .

Using my own version of a Shore hardness tester ;) I've tested it in comparison to the old rubber out of the MG mount and it is very very close in hardness, but it is a weeny bit softer , so maybe an option if we ever need to cast a new rubber thingy somewhere ? ( just thought) ;)

Chris
Got one for Me , Then one for her, and now a big one for me again, All BLOO! Well saves on the touch up paint, Now Number one son's Spoilt it all by getting a Firefrost 1.8T

Posted 22 Aug 2012, 14:35 #5 

springy
These replacement kits are on Ebay at around £25 for both ends. No need to hack bits off nuclear subs or did you get the scrapings off the one that grounded the other year.??

Posted 24 Aug 2012, 06:54 #6 

ceedy
springy wrote:These replacement kits are on Ebay at around £25 for both ends. No need to hack bits off nuclear subs or did you get the scrapings off the one that grounded the other year.??

I know, :-D but they don't deliver in 10 minutes on a sunday !! :-D and when you want to use the car in the mean time and Monday morning for Work . needs must :-D..

Actually the panel was a Scrap offcut from the Sonar absorbing panels of a Sub, not not quite the right stuff for this. used it mostly for Sheet metal beating.

Posted 24 Aug 2012, 09:22 #7 

Jürgen
ceedy wrote:I know, :-D but they don't deliver in 10 minutes on a sunday !! :-D

But locating a sub and taking it apart without being shot has been easier? :panic:

:gmc:

Posted 24 Aug 2012, 15:43 #8 

ceedy
Jürgen wrote:
ceedy wrote:I know, :-D but they don't deliver in 10 minutes on a sunday !! :-D

But locating a sub and taking it apart without being shot has been easier? :panic:

Ahh but I was in R&D so got before it was fitted.. a bit safer :-D

:gmc:

Posted 24 Aug 2012, 19:32 #9