Modified Handbrake Compensator Fitting (OBOSLETE) by Arctic (Page 3 of 4)

kandyman
Not near a pc at the moment,

If the part numbers are the same for the cables on the V8 as the other models then I should think this would fit.

Posted 14 Sep 2011, 16:55 #41 

Arctic
(Trader)
Compensator fitting without cutting the carpet

First remove handbrake gaiter Fig 1
Image1

Once removed you will be able to undo the handbrake adjuster nut to the top of the thread you will need a 13mm deep socket now thats done leave handbrake off which is needed later to remove the old compensator Fig2
Image2

Both front seats weather electric or manual need to be lowered to there full adjustability and also mover forward as far as possible to be able to get to the two screws holding the center console in place either side Figs3/4/5 this can be done by your self but if you have help it is much easier.
Image3

Image4

Image5

Then take out the rear ash tray Fig6
Image6

Ash tray out undo the two 10mm bolts Fig7
Image7

Undo the torx screw Fig8
Image8

Remove both rear carpet kickers by sliding them off the clips not pulling as this could break the kicker or the clips, Fig9
Image9

with 10mm bolts removed and torx screw you can now lift the the centre console high enough to wedge it with a piece of wood or if working with someone get them to hold it up for you Fig10
Image10

with the console lifted you can cut the little piece of carpet inside/underneath the rear of the console use a new sharp blade,this will help to get access to the compensator later when removing the cables Fig11
Image11

Now pull up rear seat squab both corners this just pops free lift the carpet from the rear seat latch.Fig 12
Image12

Peel back the carpet along the back door ledge both sides as far as the seatbelt anchor so it can be rolled forward to reveal the compensator plate this will give you access to the three torx screws you need to undo so you can get to the compensator and remove the black clip and cables,Fig13
Image13

Once the cover plate is removed you ned to take out the black clip by squeezing together top to bottom, this is quite fiddley make sure you do not lose this clip as it needs to go back once the modified compensator is fitted. Fig14
Image14

You should now be able to remove the front cable first which inturn releases the handbrake compensator fully so you can remove the two rear cables Fig15
Image15

Refitting is the reverse of all above once you have inserted the cables and black clip pull the handbrake up two notches no more this gives it a bit of tension remembering to replace compensator cover before folding back the carpet, once everthing is back in place except the handbrake gaiter adjust the handbrake nut to 25mm you should get the car to hold on 3/4 notches please remember you may still need to adjust at both rear wheel drums i did not have to on both my cars, you coud adjust to 27mm and this will give a much more tight handbrake this would be upto your self. replace gaiter and try your new handbrake good luck hope it goes well for you.

I am willing to help fit the compensator if you are willing to travel to mine and weather is ok and have say 45 mins if i have a spare compensator if not you would have to add the time of modifying it. this would have to be arranged before hand because i cant have a line of R75s out side the house :lol:
cheers Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 15 Sep 2011, 02:09 #42 

Last edited by Arctic on 21 Sep 2011, 01:03, edited 10 times in total.

Arctic
(Trader)
Bernard wrote:That's great. I'm assuming that the V8 has the same arrangement as it suffers from excess travel more than the V6.
We will soon find out, I guess.

HI Bernard
Take out the rear ash try and take a look you will see the compensator just about i would think so because it the same body type
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 15 Sep 2011, 02:13 #43 

Last edited by Arctic on 18 Sep 2011, 22:25, edited 1 time in total.

kandyman
Arctic wrote:Compensator fitting without cutting the carpet

will finish this tomoz Arctic

Ok I know you been busy the last few day getting ready for the meet and you have been working hard over the weekend at the meet helping other members so I'll let you off not finishing this off. ;)

I hope normal service will be resumed next week :)

Posted 18 Sep 2011, 14:53 #44 

Bernard
We can now confirm that this works for the V8 too. :-D
Thanks Arctic for your work on this.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 18 Sep 2011, 18:24 #45 

woolleysox
Thanks to Artic he fitted two to V8s Bernard LPG (Liquified Petroleum Gas) Car and woolleysox ZTT today at the 4ahses nano meet and the result are much improved
Woolleysox

midlandsnanomeets.co.uk

Posted 18 Sep 2011, 19:33 #46 

mark d3
artic was showing me this idea at the nano,book me down for the kit at next years meet my handbrakes the same it travels to far
mark

Posted 18 Sep 2011, 19:57 #47 

Duncan
Well done for developing this fix. I will need to do both of mine at some point. I even fitted new cables to the V6 and that didn't help much.

Posted 18 Sep 2011, 20:07 #48 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Bernard/Rob glad to hear you are both happy with the handbrake and dont forget it was team work you both helped out on your own cars, Also managed to fit one to Ians (BADLAD) cdti,with is help he also was a very great help with other jobs over the two days, me and him finaly got the time down to fitting the compensator to 25 mins i now three more to modify ready for the next time someone wants the mod fitting, Paul (Raistlin) sorry that i did not have any more than the three with me but you are on the very short list :thumbsup: ie the first at the next meet or if i see you sooner will try and finsh the how to sometime over the next few days Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 18 Sep 2011, 22:35 #49 

BADLAD
Thanks for all of your help over the weekend Steve. The handbrake mod works brilliantly (2 clicks will hold the car, 3 makes it really solid). The fitting time was coming down rapidly, but I doubt we can get it to much under 25 minutes though. I wuld also like to point out that my car is the zt-t and there didn't seem to be quite as much room in there as there was with the saloons. No matter though, it is a sure fire winner of a mod!

Posted 19 Sep 2011, 12:12 #50 

MrB
Arctic mine is a daily driver so would be difficult for me to get my used compensator to you, especially as I live on a big hill. In case anyone doesn't know Queensbury is the highest village (with a parish church?) in England. My house is at 1160Ft above sea level.
Even with the best of will I imagine you are looking at a 4 day turnaround?
I might take a trip to my local scrappies and see if there are any 75s in, if I get time.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 20 Sep 2011, 17:14 #51 

Arctic
(Trader)
MrB wrote:Arctic mine is a daily driver so would be difficult for me to get my used compensator to you, especially as I live on a big hill. In case anyone doesn't know Queensbury is the highest village (with a parish church?) in England. My house is at 1160Ft above sea level.
Even with the best of will I imagine you are looking at a 4 day turnaround?
I might take a trip to my local scrappies and see if there are any 75s in, if I get time.

If you went to a scrapyard and got one i can send you one i have already made up, then you could donate yours for someone else to get the benefit from i keep meaning to try and get down to the scrap yards my self but as you say its the time. I was thinking of purchasing a few new ones but at £10.99 a time it would only take say a couple to be not returned and i would be back at square one, as it stands i have three ready these are from the meet which were fitted Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 20 Sep 2011, 20:25 #52 

chrislloydie
Steve,

Just been reading up on all your amazing hard work on here and the other site. Gotta take my hat off to you as you havebeen like a dog with a bone with this handbrake problem. Lol

My handbrake desperately needs sorting as it takes about 9 clicks to hold it and my drive is on a slope lol. I was wondering if the following is a possibility, I send you a paypal payment to cover you ordering a new compensator, modifying it and sending it to me. I would then donate my old one to you for modification for a fellow member. Just an idea and would be easier/quicker than mr ordering one then sending it to you etc.

What do you reckon?

Regards

Chris

Posted 29 Sep 2011, 18:19 #53 

Arctic
(Trader)
chrislloydie wrote:Steve,

Just been reading up on all your amazing hard work on here and the other site. Gotta take my hat off to you as you havebeen like a dog with a bone with this handbrake problem. Lol

My handbrake desperately needs sorting as it takes about 9 clicks to hold it and my drive is on a slope lol. I was wondering if the following is a possibility, I send you a paypal payment to cover you ordering a new compensator, modifying it and sending it to me. I would then donate my old one to you for modification for a fellow member. Just an idea and would be easier/quicker than mr ordering one then sending it to you etc.

What do you reckon?

Regards

Chris

HI Chris
Pm sent Arctic
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 29 Sep 2011, 19:57 #54 

revor
Hi Steve [artic is to cold for me]. finally worked what the problem is with the compensator. it was not until I saw the stretched "U" shaped part that I realized it. when is your next meet. long way to drive but I would put faces to names!. we could then put in your modified part. peter. ps. forgot to say my is a real pain because it's an auto, whants to creep on 7-8 clicks

Posted 09 Oct 2011, 15:54 #55 

Arctic
(Trader)
revor wrote:Hi Steve [artic is to cold for me]. finally worked what the problem is with the compensator. it was not until I saw the stretched "U" shaped part that I realized it. when is your next meet. long way to drive but I would put faces to names!. we could then put in your modified part. peter. ps. forgot to say my is a real pain because it's an auto, whants to creep on 7-8 clicks

Next meet is 16th october at
october-nano-meet-t4263.html

The TeddyBears Nursery,
Long Lane
Great Wyrley
Walsall
West Midlands
WS6 6AT

Arctic
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 09 Oct 2011, 18:22 #56 

Avalon
Fitted a modified compensator on my Rover 75 last Sunday. Without having to tear down the interior!
I managed to fit the new compensator from the bottom of the car. The access to the compensator is gained through the hole in the bottom of the car just next to the exhaust pipe. (Is it true that the hole is just above the exhaust pipe whith the older models? Mine is a 2005 model.)
In order to remove the old compensator, I had to strip down the brakes and handbrake mechanism from the rear wheels to get enough slack on the cables. Once done, the new compensator was fitted very quickly. Then fitted the brake mechanism back on and got the car rock solid at 4 clicks.

But yesterday something strange hapenned: the car would only hold on a slope on 6 clicks, as the day before 4 clicks was enough for the same slope.
When I arrived at work this morning it was again on 4 clicks and I couldn't pull it any further.
Is this normal? Is the mechanism still living a bit after fitting it back from scratch?
Maybe I have to re-adjust it after a couple of months.

Note that I went for the solution of welding the ends of the U-shape together and that I didn't had to cut my interior apart.

Posted 18 Oct 2011, 13:07 #57 

Arctic
(Trader)
WE dont cut the interior apart its just lifing the carpet behind the rear seats 25min job all done and its stainless steel no more stretching of the U bend ever this should be fit and forget only adjusment that may ever need doing might be the knurled nut and thats a maybe ;)

I also note that some cars have the heat shield in the way under the car also you are working in a confined space unless you have a pit or high ramps not for me i am afraid :confused: to cold this time of year anyway, but well done for fitting it cheers Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 18 Oct 2011, 23:03 #58 

Arctic
(Trader)
Should have eight of these ready by Monday sooner if i was not tiling the bathroom if interested send me a pm Arctic.

PS i was shocked Sunday at the nano a member told me he bought a new compensator from Rimmers and when he got the bill or payed for it the cost was £27+ / These should only cost the most £15.86 at the most. My exchange as got to be the way to go and its modified already i should have 8 of these ready by 24/10/2011 PM me if you require one remember this is a exchange scheme for your old on too.

Posted 19 Oct 2011, 07:30 #59 

Bermudan 75
This ranks as one of the best mods that has been carried out on my car, I cannot recommend Steve's work highly enough, excellant does not come near the adjective I am looking for! :thumbsup:

Mike

Posted 19 Oct 2011, 08:56 #60