Mk 2 75 Headlight units misted by Chartermark

Chartermark
I haven't used the 75 for a bit and today I noticed the headlights have what looks like condensation in the centre bottoms (both units).

Is this a problem curable by a rubber seal/ silicone etc, or does it mean the whole headlamp units are finito?

Posted 08 Jan 2013, 18:32 #1 

Duncan
When you have a dry day (I know) you need to run with the rubber caps off the back, and the headlamps on. Then get the caps on fairly quick.

Posted 08 Jan 2013, 20:28 #2 

Chartermark
Thanks Duncan, thats a new one on me, a good system though, if as you say your quick! Like most I gather, our weather has been wet and with accompanying high humidity. I've never known mould algae form before on any car of mine to date.

Posted 08 Jan 2013, 23:44 #3 

Jürgen
Good idea, Duncan! I'll try this in the distant future, when the weather will be dry again, hopefully. The brand new LHD headlamps of my TF are showing these symptoms.

Posted 09 Jan 2013, 16:47 #4 

Duncan
The lamps do have breathers, but after a while of non use, the humidity gets in and not out again.

Posted 09 Jan 2013, 22:34 #5 

Jürgen
I see, it's a one way street for the H2O.

Posted 09 Jan 2013, 22:58 #6 

Duncan
Jürgen wrote:I see, it's a one way street for the H2O.

Yes sort of. I'm not sure why. Air continues to flow in and out as the day gets warmer and the night cooler. My guess is that damper air is sucked in when cooler, and it then condenses in the bottom of the lamp when properly cold. The cold air is then pushed out as it warms up again, but some water is left behind. This builds up after a few cycles. I don't know this is what happens but I've observed it on a few cars and is my guess.

Taking the cap on helps it dry quicker as air can circulate more freely.

Posted 10 Jan 2013, 20:42 #7