Mk 1 Boot entry? by Chartermark

Chartermark
Am I correct in thinking that without a key you cannot access the boot of the Mk1?

It's 7 years since I had mine, and I cannot now recall if there was an interior release?

My local breaker has a 'W' reg in, but the car is keyless. Many parts (including the rear bumper & skirt) have already gone, and I'm after the board that fits over the spare wheel compartment in the locked boot.

Thanks to the rear light gasket failing, mine presently resembles the rear of a cello, and needs replacing. I went this afternoon and the chap at the yard, was stumped how to open the rear, and has asked me to call tomorrow and he'll attempt entry.

The car is open, but is virtually a hulk (no ignition circuit power etc).

Is there a way to release the lid, I suppose the rear seat backings could be removed, but how do you release the lock?

Any suggestions please?

Posted 07 Mar 2011, 19:16 #1 

JohnDotCom
I know the tourer has a internal release, but that doesn't help you sorry.
A useful bump in case anyone has a method, I do seem to remember a method but not quick.

If it is a breakin in methodImage Image ...please post a PM not on forums thanks.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 07 Mar 2011, 19:21 #2 

Duncan
I only know of the electric internal release on the A pillar. Would need a battery, but not ignition, though that might be risky if wires were chopped.

Posted 07 Mar 2011, 20:03 #3 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Should be able to drop the seat back from cabin, search for tapes either side, seat cushion will have to be removed and look under bottom of seat back. These operate the locking mechanism, they do a similar job to the rear seat back shoulder buttons.
Some cars don't have them, if so PM me and I'll give you the secret method for accessing a locked boot from the outside.

Posted 07 Mar 2011, 20:08 #4 

JohnDotCom
I didn't mention that Secret because it was secret!Image Image
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 07 Mar 2011, 20:10 #5 

Mick
(Site Admin)
JohnDotCom wrote:I didn't mention that Secret because it was secret!Image Image

Shhhhhhhhhhhh.

Posted 07 Mar 2011, 20:10 #6 

Chartermark
Thanks for the tips. I've emailed Mick for the 'unpublished' method, as the yard lad wanted to smash his way in! A shame as it's doors, lids etc are in really good order.

Martin

Posted 08 Mar 2011, 11:44 #7