Misinformation from the BBC? by Zeb

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Zeb
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13493056

I thought that if a vehicle was declared SORN then it did not have to be insured? Am I wrong?

Posted 23 May 2011, 07:24 #1 

PaulT
There is no misinformation. Whilst not actually specifically mentioning SORN in the article they have put the sentence:

'Motorists who have declared their car as off the road will not be fined.'

i.e. SORN'd
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 23 May 2011, 07:30 #2 

Zeb
Ah.....me not reading carefully enough then.....:D

Posted 23 May 2011, 08:14 #3 

Tourerfogey
There seems to be some confusion here.

Basically the new law states that a car has to have insurance whether or not it is on the road unless it has been declared SORN. So yes, that means even if the car is parked on your own private property and is taxed you have to have insurance cover unless you've made a SORN declaration - i.e. if it is taxed then it must be insured even if you are not actually using it!

Posted 23 May 2011, 13:49 #4 

JohnDotCom
even if it isn't taxed............if not SORN needs Insurance.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 23 May 2011, 16:24 #5 

Tourerfogey
That isn't strictly true JDC - as some cars have been off the road since before the SORN system was introduced and have never been SORN'd or taxed since. ;)

Posted 23 May 2011, 16:52 #6 

JohnDotCom
Agree with your interpretation TF, was mine to, but on phoning Swansea over a very old MGB in bits in a Garage since 1979 was told if its not SORN I have to insure it.

Covers all older cars and Technically Museum exhibits, but they wouldn't go into that. :confused:
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 23 May 2011, 17:00 #7 

Tourerfogey
I think that's another example (I could quote you many) of the bods on the telephones at Swansea not understanding or being aware of their own rules. ;)

Posted 23 May 2011, 17:20 #8 

PaulT
JohnDotCom wrote:Covers all older cars and Technically Museum exhibits, but they wouldn't go into that. :confused:

I would have thought that museums have insurance anyway. Think of the value of some of them.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 23 May 2011, 18:02 #9