mgzt cdti+ chromatic shot silk,nav working,radio not by steve price

steve price
guys newbie on here,have this zt cdti+ 2005 BX05XXK,HIGLINE SYSTEM FITTED,nav works bit no voice,radio wont work no cursor light coming on??auto leccy guy said it was the unit in the boot rg part no xqc 100440,so had replacement one to day guess what its the same no radio any help would be appreciated
thanx steve,in advance

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 13:00 #1 

Last edited by steve price on 12 Jun 2012, 13:35, edited 1 time in total.

Mick
(Site Admin)
Hi Steve.
One or more of the ICE experts will be along to assist, probably after working hours.

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 13:04 #2 

MN190
Do you get any sound when using the cd?
Does anything happen when you press the radio button?

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 17:10 #3 

steve price
no,tbh i hadnt even thought of trying that,the shuffler did load up earlier on when i removed the 2 fuses to check they were ok,they were?
no the orange light will not come on,it was working last week,then it had to have a repair to the number plate lights as the unit was suspect?,it hasnt worked since it was repaired,the auto leccy guy said it was nothing to do with their repair job, help plz guys

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 17:21 #4 

MN190
OK a couple more questions
Does the TV option still show on the settings screen
Do you know the replacement radio module works ok

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 17:36 #5 

steve price
yes the channels are there,they show up on screen the nav comes on and you can set destinations,
the 2nd hand unit was working yesterday in a mg zt-t

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 17:41 #6 

JakeWilson
Hello mate,

what has the auto electrician 'repaired' out of interest?

My understanding is that if the light you point to is not coming on then it's dead radio module time, but two seems highly unlikely!

J

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 17:47 #7 

steve price
the auto electrician told me that the original amplfier was u/s,i had a replacement unit 2 day and its exactly the same symptons,no orange cursor light on,the unit i bought was working yesterday all be it in the touring version

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 17:53 #8 

Duncan
Most likely is the kbus connection to the radio module. The wire is quite thin and get easily pulled out. That would give you exactly what you are seeing. Check the white / yellow / red wire that goes into one of the round pins on the radio is connected.

If it's not that, check the power and ground connections. Ground is the black wire. There should be a permanent 12v on the purple / pink wire, and 12v with ignition on on the light green / white.

If it's still none of them, it could be the other end of the kbus wire, there are several spliced together inside the harness and they have been known to break. You could bridge between the white / red / yellow in the radio connector and the video module (TV tuner) which is the silver box to the left of the radio.

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 18:12 #9 

steve price
auto lec been has said the set has power to it,basically it was working a week ago and now its not,he has advised to to remove the system,try and sell it on e bay bla de bla,then convert the front facias to house a single c/d player,im well hacked but there you go
steve

Posted 13 Jun 2012, 14:19 #10 

Duncan
Did he do the kbus check I suggested? It doesn't sound like it and it's 99% that, and an easy fix. I know of at least 2 other systems with similar issues.

Where in the country are you?

Posted 13 Jun 2012, 15:02 #11 

steve price
i showed him what you said,tbh i havnt got a clue and if you seen my car you be cheesed off,sat nav unit disconected,fuse box covers hanging down,nav screen removed,drivers side covers removed,my heads fried,no he wasnt intrested in what you sent he said he knew wht you meant,location is south wales
thanx anyway

Posted 13 Jun 2012, 15:14 #12 

Duncan
Bit far to come to me or I'd have a quick look for you.

Posted 13 Jun 2012, 15:26 #13 

steve price
the nav screen is blank now so i dont know what he done to it,thanx for trying to help me out
steve

Posted 13 Jun 2012, 16:20 #14 

Duncan
Could be a number of things. The TV tuner box is the thing that creates the pictures on the satnav display. So if that's not properly plugged in it would give a black display. It could also happen if theres a problem with the kbus wire to the TV tuner to.

If you could wait, and get along to the Nanomeet in Wolverhampton in a few weeks time we could find out for sure, and probably fix it too!

Posted 13 Jun 2012, 17:37 #15 

steve price
not being tec minded what is the kbus wire and if im gonna try and splice the wire from the radio tuner which wire do i splice in to,like i said im not tec minded but will give it a go
steve

Posted 14 Jun 2012, 08:31 #16 

JakeWilson
Such a swine that I am not back in Swansea for a good few months otherwise I'd have a look for you.

So to confirm - symptoms are:

No display
No sound

Has the car always been like this since you got it?

What exactly has the auto electrician done? Have they simply unplugged and replugged modules or have the dissasembled, but into looms etc?

J

Posted 14 Jun 2012, 13:48 #17 

steve price
10 days ago it was working as it should sat nav and radio,then the rear number plates holders were playing up.the mot station re wired them butthe radio then decided not to come on eg no orange cursor light,but sat nav was still displayed but with no voice,the auto lec guy said it was the uni
t in the boot,which i got from a working vehicle,that was exactly the same as before,no orange cursor light on,yesterday the auto lec disconected the sat nav screen.the 2 boxes in the boot,and the sat nav rec in the boot where the disc inserts,now i got a blank screen and no picture of the map.

Posted 14 Jun 2012, 14:38 #18 

JakeWilson
it sounds like when the MOT station's rewiring exercise has caused all the problems, despite what they said if it was all working before hand, especially as it runs on a separate loom. My guess is that he's tapped into the loom at the back somewhere in doing whatever it was he was doing.

If he's disconnected everything at the back then that explains the blank screen as the headunit does nothing by itself.

Can you get some photos of the wiring in the boot?

Jake

Posted 14 Jun 2012, 15:58 #19 

Duncan
As jake says, the blank screen is probably something not plugged back in.

Regarding the wiring. The white wire with a red stripe and yellow dots is the kbus wire. It needs to connect to the radio unit, the TV unit and the satnav unit. My suspicion is that's the source of the problem in that it's not connected to all of them, there's a break somewhere. I was suggesting connecting the one going into the radio unit (the one you replaced) to the one going into the TV (silver box to the left in the spare wheel).

It's also possible if this is the problem, that your auto electrician has damaged that wire going to the TV tuner, as that would also give you a blank screen. The wire is quite thin and easily broken, which is why I think it might be the cause of all of your problems.

Posted 14 Jun 2012, 19:31 #20