MG ZT 2.5 V6 160+ 2003 38000 miles by shortarse

shortarse
Hi, I treated myself to this car after previously owning a Rover 75 and always promised myself I would get a ZT one day. I had the cam belts done in May, the idea was to run the car in summer and store the car over winter. Due to a moving house and a change in circumstances I have no option but to sell the car to a good home. However during the last week the car has started showing early signs of head gasket failure. What is the best thing to do ? Get him fixed and then sell him OR sell me as is to allow the new owner to either do it themselves or get his own garage to sort. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks

Posted 25 Sep 2012, 19:56 #1 

al_dente
Are you sure its head gasket? I thought that was relatively rare on the V6 engine.

Posted 25 Sep 2012, 21:44 #2 

Wheelnut
For what it's worth, I would run in by your garage and see what they say "if you trust them", you can offset any charges in your asking price, buyers like to see what has been done upfront, and don't mind paying that bit extra for their peace of mind.
Have a trip down memory lane!
On our website
http://www.pastreunited.com/.

Posted 26 Sep 2012, 07:31 #3 

MrDoodles
shortarse wrote:Hi, I treated myself to this car after previously owning a Rover 75 and always promised myself I would get a ZT one day. I had the cam belts done in May, the idea was to run the car in summer and store the car over winter. Due to a moving house and a change in circumstances I have no option but to sell the car to a good home. However during the last week the car has started showing early signs of head gasket failure. What is the best thing to do ? Get him fixed and then sell him OR sell me as is to allow the new owner to either do it themselves or get his own garage to sort. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks

What signs is it showing exactly? :confused:

Posted 26 Sep 2012, 08:06 #4 

shortarse
temperature gauge fluctuates upto maximum, using a lot of water. Does not do it all the time, may do it twice on a 20 mile run. It has done it when doing 50 on motorway, but then on another day you can go over 60 and it is fine. Also if stood in traffic it sometimes does it. When it does it the gauge goes to the top and the red light comes on. Not used very often maybe once every couple of weeks. What else could it be if its not the head gasket ? thanks

Posted 26 Sep 2012, 20:20 #5 

MrDoodles
shortarse wrote:temperature gauge fluctuates upto maximum, using a lot of water. Does not do it all the time, may do it twice on a 20 mile run. It has done it when doing 50 on motorway, but then on another day you can go over 60 and it is fine. Also if stood in traffic it sometimes does it. When it does it the gauge goes to the top and the red light comes on. Not used very often maybe once every couple of weeks. What else could it be if its not the head gasket ? thanks

Sounds like classic V6 thermostat failure to me! ;)

Ist thing I'd do, would be to check in between the V of the engine for coolant! ;)

Posted 26 Sep 2012, 21:08 #6 

shortarse
thank you for your help, I will get this checked and let you know

Posted 27 Sep 2012, 11:55 #7 

MrDoodles
shortarse wrote:thank you for your help, I will get this checked and let you know

You are very welcome!

Let us know what you find!

Posted 27 Sep 2012, 13:52 #8 

Duncan
Yup, thermostat, coupled with a duff fan maybe? That's where I'd be looking first.

Posted 28 Sep 2012, 14:55 #9 

shortarse
thanks, just waiting to hear from my mechanic.

Posted 01 Oct 2012, 18:59 #10 

shortarse
Hi, our car is now fighting fit once more, new thermostat fitted. Thanks for all your help

Posted 10 Oct 2012, 15:54 #11