MG zt 190 pulling to the left by dovid40

• Related topics: (no related topics)

dovid40
Can anypne suggest why my Zt 190 is pulling to the left. I have had the tracking checked and it is not out and,the tyres are brand new. Any help appreciated

Posted 09 Feb 2012, 18:48 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Firstly. Was this 4 wheel laser alignment? The rears being out can cause excessive pull to the nearside.

Secondly. Due to the setup of the these cars they do tend to try and follow the camber on some roads but not so much as to make it a chore to drive, motorway / flat road should be dead true.

Posted 09 Feb 2012, 19:26 #2 

PaulT
Caliper sticking slightly?
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 09 Feb 2012, 20:53 #3 

Ragman
Tyres may be new but are the pressures correct/the same

Posted 09 Feb 2012, 23:32 #4 

RhodieBill
Most cars will pull to the left on normally cambered roads. And also, now this is what I was told by a manufacturer, so don't have a go at me if you think it's cow poo, but apparently RHD cars are designed to pull to the left ever so slightly as a safety measure so if you become incapacitated the car will go off the road instead of going into oncomming traffic.
So the theory is, is that if you drive on a road with camber going the other way, ie. wrong side of the road the car will generally go straight or slighly right, if it still pulls to the left there is something wrong, usually allignment.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regards, Bill

Posted 10 Feb 2012, 15:05 #5 

Unclefista
Are the outer edges of the front tyres wearing evenly ?
Have you tried swapping front wheels around ?

From my phone..

Posted 10 Feb 2012, 20:01 #6 

takestock
good call :)

( not from the phone :D)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 10 Feb 2012, 20:02 #7 

RhodieBill
Unclefista wrote:Are the outer edges of the front tyres wearing evenly ?
Have you tried swapping front wheels around ?

From my phone..

That's ok if the tyres are not directional, which most are these days.... Which will mean the direction will be wrong if you put the offside on the nearside and vice-versa. Check for arrows.....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regards, Bill

Posted 11 Feb 2012, 13:11 #8 

Unclefista
After the number of tyres I've seen fitted "the wrong way around" with no consequences, I'd have no qualms trying them long enough to see if the problem switches from one side to the other :)

From my phone..

Posted 11 Feb 2012, 17:27 #9 

RhodieBill
That is entirely your choice.... But the reason for running in the direction they are intended is to basically pump out water from the tread of the tyre to help stop aquaplaneing, so by fitting them the wrong way you are actually doing the reverse.

And to be honest in all my years I have only ever seen one set on "the wrong way around", so I dread to think of what standard of tyre-fitting shops/garages you have where you live???

Oh, and not only that, should something actually go wrong with the tyres like that, I wouldn't bother trying to clain on your insurance because I know where they will tell you to go....... Tyres are one of the first things they look at, and we ALL know what insurace companies can be like!!!

But, as I say, it's your choice.
Regards, Bill

Posted 11 Feb 2012, 18:07 #10 

Unclefista
RhodieBill wrote:That is entirely your choice.... But the reason for running in the direction they are intended is to basically pump out water from the tread of the tyre to help stop aquaplaneing, so by fitting them the wrong way you are actually doing the reverse.

Using my common sense, I wouldn't test drive a car in standing water anyway.
You'd only need 3-4 dry minutes to test it, long enough to judge.

And to be honest in all my years I have only ever seen one set on "the wrong way around", so I dread to think of what standard of tyre-fitting shops/garages you have where you live???

All your years doing what though ? How many tyre/wheels do you inspect in an average week ?
The standard of tyre fitters around here is probably no better/worse than anywhere else, most are good, some are a little inept and some are diabolical.
The last full set of tyres I had fitted were a set of Yokohama sport tyres for my toy car, when I picked them up, I had to ask them to fit them again, this time using the coloured dots that denote the lightest part of the tyre fitted closest to the valve. He then had to remove all but one of the balancing weights. This was at an independant tyre fitters with a really good reputation.

TBH most of the tyres I've seen fitted the wrong way around I blame the owner swapping wheels around, usually from back to front as most tyre fitters nowadays will only fit new tyres to the rear, a lot of people get home and switch front to back..

Oh, and not only that, should something actually go wrong with the tyres like that, I wouldn't bother trying to clain on your insurance because I know where they will tell you to go....... Tyres are one of the first things they look at, and we ALL know what insurace companies can be like!!!

But, as I say, it's your choice.

I have no doubt the insurance company would balk at paying out, but also I have no doubt that there's a clause in the policy which says the insurance doesn't cover test drives and your car must be in a roadworthy condition with no faults. My mate had his Golf stolen and burned out a few years ago, they didn't pay up because his car had alloy wheels on. Standard VW ones, they were on it when he bought it..

Tony

Posted 11 Feb 2012, 19:34 #11 

dovid40
The tyres are none directional and the tracking was done at ATS using their laser tracking. I have remembered what they said at ATS and that was it could be that the spring could have weakened, but I do not know if this is correct.I will take of the wheel and look at the brake caliper and give it a good clean and see what the result is.

Posted 18 Feb 2012, 10:58 #12 

T-Cut
This behaviour is so common I've assigned two abbreviation search terms. One is 'PLS' or the Pull Left Syndrome. The other is '#DLP#' or Drift Left Phenomenon.
Searching for either term will find previous discussions of the behaviour on the various forums (those I've added stuff to anyway).

TC

Posted 18 Feb 2012, 11:12 #13