MG ZT 120 by 1664Trigger

• Related topics: (no related topics)

1664Trigger
Hi,joined Community at the weekend SMC referred,just bought a 120 model as a run around for retirement, this one has 18000 miles and is mint inside and out,my wife has a 135+ 05 plate bought new and has 19000 miles on the clock.
Enough history.
On replacing the nearside inner wheel arch inspection cover I noticed a length of coiled wire, its attached and is located inside the lower bumper area.
Need to get a workshop manual but in the meantime would appreciate info as to its function

Will post photos of both cars shortly :panic:

Ian

Posted 27 Sep 2010, 08:05 #1 

Bernard
Welcome Ian.

Does the wire have a plug on the end of it?
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 27 Sep 2010, 09:07 #2 

1664Trigger
Thanks for response, its a coiled wire about 75mm dia, not an electrical wire, looks like the remnants of a hose with wire reinforement ?

Posted 27 Sep 2010, 09:42 #3 

Bernard
1664Trigger wrote:Thanks for response, its a coiled wire about 75mm dia, not an electrical wire, looks like the remnants of a hose with wire reinforement ?

Ah! That's the remains of the air inlet or Shannon tube. Common problem.
It can be replaced with a flexible aluminium pipe.

Someone will tell us what the spec is. I've got to do mine as well. :em:

Posted 27 Sep 2010, 09:45 #4 

Bernard
Just remembered. Jules, trader member on here is selling a good replacement for this.

Posted 27 Sep 2010, 09:47 #5 

1664Trigger
Many thanks,how do I contact Jules?

Posted 27 Sep 2010, 09:53 #6 

Bernard
1664Trigger wrote:Many thanks,how do I contact Jules?

Take your pick here. There are 'phone numbers on his website too.

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=193

Posted 27 Sep 2010, 10:08 #7 

Duncan
And do it quickly, before there are any deep puddles. It could suck water into the engine if you drive through a deep puddle. That is bad for an engine. Very bad!

Posted 27 Sep 2010, 12:03 #8 

1664Trigger
Thanks Duncan, Bernard sorted me out, part ordered from Jules,perhaps will fit at the Nano meet next weekend

Posted 27 Sep 2010, 12:33 #9 

Bernard
Duncan wrote:And do it quickly, before there are any deep puddles. It could suck water into the engine if you drive through a deep puddle. That is bad for an engine. Very bad!

Yes Sir, Duncan Sir, :hail:

I really must do it also! On the V6 that is. ;)

Posted 27 Sep 2010, 12:40 #10 

GagHalfrunt
At least you have a shannon tube. I have nothing at all. :shock: At least the airbox is too high up to suck in water!

Posted 28 Sep 2010, 13:07 #11 

Last edited by GagHalfrunt on 28 Sep 2010, 21:56, edited 1 time in total.

Duncan
Bernard wrote:
Duncan wrote:And do it quickly, before there are any deep puddles. It could suck water into the engine if you drive through a deep puddle. That is bad for an engine. Very bad!

Yes Sir, Duncan Sir, :hail:

I really must do it also! On the V6 that is. ;)

It's OK, they are fitted with a warning system. If you suck a load of water in, the engine will warn you by bending the conrods and throwing them through the side of the block. ;)

Posted 28 Sep 2010, 18:12 #12 

SpongeBob
Well I glad you cleared that one up Duncan - for a moment there I was thinking that conrods through the block were an abnormal occurrence. I see its another of Rover's early warning systems, just like one where the 1.8 suddenly (and without much warning) dumps all the coolant into the combustion chamber and seizes up. :lol:

Posted 28 Sep 2010, 19:32 #13