Locking wheel bolts by PaulT

PaulT
The later cars had different locking wheel bolts. The earlier ones had normally a no 12 key though there is a no 11 (RRV100041 which Rimmer does not list).

When I had the early car it had a no 12 key and I bought a spare one so that there were two in the car so if one was misplaced I could still get the wheels off.

Did the later cars have just the one key or did they vary. If the former I will try to get a spare key.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 25 Apr 2015, 06:38 #1 

Duncan
The later ones are mcgard, and have different keys. I picked up a brand new set for a fiver a couple of weeks ago (ebay). If you have the card for the locks you can order more keys from mcgard themselves.

Posted 25 Apr 2015, 08:18 #2 

PaulT
Thanks Duncan, no I do not have the card. However, I will keep an eye out for a new set with the card so I can get a spare key.

A friend who divides his time between the UK and France is currently in France and went to get some new tyres fitted. He then remembered that he had problems with one of the locking bolts - the key not fitting. Called the RAC and the nice man used a lump/mash/club (dependent upon where you hail from) to hammer the early type key in to the bolt to remove it. Unfortunately, it was put back instead of being replaced. The garage has just quoted him 2 hours and 150 euros to remove the bolt. Just sent him details of the bolt removers that act on the exterior of the bolt. Would have thought the RAC man and the garage would have the removers.
Paul

Posted 25 Apr 2015, 15:47 #3 

Duncan
This where I bought mine:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-75-McGa ... 5d53b851dc

Though I paid less as no-one else bid on the auction. Probably why they are now listed BIN.

Posted 27 Apr 2015, 17:38 #4 

PaulT
Many thanks Duncan - even at the BIN price seems OK.
Paul

Posted 27 Apr 2015, 19:35 #5 

sewerman
Hi following on from this post how do you get the older style locking wheel nut out if the splines have rounded out as I've just found one of mine has virtually no splines and the nut is just slipping inside the bolt?
Royal Blue Rover 75 CDT Tourer

Posted 30 Apr 2015, 19:43 #6 

PaulT
Paul

Posted 30 Apr 2015, 20:03 #7 

sewerman
Thanks Paul as its a bit expensive for a one off buy I may just see how much the local tyre place charge first and hunt for a new bolt

Posted 30 Apr 2015, 20:18 #8 

sewerman
Well just to finish off this thread - got a new wheel bolt from the local scrappey for a £1 and local garage removed the old one for £10 so all sorted for £11 but thanks for the advice Paul

Posted 01 May 2015, 16:44 #9