lights causing problems by monsterness

monsterness
As some of you know i have changed my tourer front to a ZT front bumper with spots, since putting the spots on it dimmed the dash lights nut i was told when i turn on my normal , last night on the motoerway i put my spots on with my side lights and the whole dash went very very dim and i could not see the MPG, ect on the computer , it went blank like me any ideas folks thanks

Posted 09 Nov 2011, 12:26 #1 

Bermudan 75
Hi Fraser, is the dash light adjustment set too low? (The knob on the head light switch)

Cheers

Mike

Posted 10 Nov 2011, 12:38 #2 

monsterness
no its like normal , when all the lights are on i.e spots dipped lights the computer goes blank totaly and the rest of the dash lights are barely visable ?

Posted 10 Nov 2011, 13:49 #3 

Arctic
(Trader)
Rover418275 wrote:Hi Fraser, is the dash light adjustment set too low? (The knob on the head light switch)

Cheers

Mike

As mike say above turn up the knob on the headlight switch

Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 11 Nov 2011, 01:18 #4 

monsterness
Done that , it blanks out the trip mpg ect yet at the nano meet she was ok on the T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) ? but then the lights were not tried.

Posted 11 Nov 2011, 07:56 #5 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Fraser
Is there a re seperate fuse for the spots if so remove it and see what happens then it maybe a bad wire frayed maybe but must admit i am clutching at straws not really up on electrics well on cars anyways,
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 11 Nov 2011, 08:53 #6 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Being a duffer on electrical installations in cars I cannot say for certain but it would appear that there is an issue with your wiring of the spots. First option would be to double check your wiring to make sure there is not a rogue strand causing a power drain, as this would be most likely culprit. IMHO.

Posted 11 Nov 2011, 13:24 #7 

monsterness
I havent looked at the fuse but i know all was well untill i put the spots on the car , even the wireing was in place as you know, i will check the fuse and swap the relay as i have a spare 1 , took the car to the body shop yeaterday for a quote for the front bumper , the rear that is in BRG and the side skirts and the mirroes to be painted £240 not bad i went to 5 garages and had quotes from £450 to £800 , plus i have seen the lad who is going to do it for £240 paint lots of cars belonging to neighbours and the pass muster his dad still paints with him and he is 74 so the multi coloured swap mobile will be back to Moonstone green.

Posted 11 Nov 2011, 13:31 #8 

Last edited by monsterness on 11 Nov 2011, 13:41, edited 1 time in total.

monsterness
When i took the bumper off the first time the main loom down the N/s wheel arch has been butchered to find a fault previously ( last owner ) itkeep blowing indicator bulbs but that has never happened to me touch wood , the loom is open not wrapped in the black cover that should be on it , instead its just a multi coloured birds nest , it might be water ingress?

Posted 11 Nov 2011, 13:39 #9 

monsterness
Sorted changed the fuse cleaned of some wires and hey presto no blank screen YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS

Posted 14 Nov 2011, 11:48 #10