LED Sidelights & The MOT?? by Simon (Page 1 of 2)

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Simon
Hi Fella's

Bought some of these, fitted, work great. :mrgreen:

However, Question:

Has anyone failed the MOT for using LED (Light Emitting Diode) Sidelights?? I've got these fitted to my Mark 1 75 with Halogens fitted.

A few years ago my old car failed for the side lights "Not Emitting White Light" I had white led's fitted!!!!

Getting dark, what do you think??

115,000 miles and counting

Posted 07 Jul 2010, 20:28 #1 

Last edited by Simon on 07 Jul 2010, 21:19, edited 1 time in total.

1gp
seem nice and bright, how much and from who? have you got a link for them ? all depends who mot the car ,and how fussy they are, some will pass it and some will fail it , look of the draw , but mot time is always a lottery i think. ;)

Posted 07 Jul 2010, 20:44 #2 

Simon
Thanks for your your input James. (is it James or Jim? :confused: )

They are very bright, I use my sidelights alot, and wanted to go for longevity. ;)

Here the link though. Gone up in price slightly, I paid £8.95 with free postage!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190403788719&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Quick postage, Ordered Sunday, Delivered today.

Posted 07 Jul 2010, 20:51 #3 

calibrax
Had exactly the same problem with my MOT. The garage replaced the white LEDs with normal yellowy sidelight bulbs. And because I have xenons, it just looked stupid... white xenons on the outer lamps, yellowy sidelights on the inner lamps!

Anyway, here's my car with the LEDs fitted...

Steve

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 135

Posted 07 Jul 2010, 20:59 #4 

1gp
cheers for that .... its jim... no problems with fuses blowing ? or a light out sign, on the dash ? think i will get some of these.... i like using side lights alot to... ;)

Posted 07 Jul 2010, 21:02 #5 

1gp
calibrax wrote:Had exactly the same problem with my MOT. The garage replaced the white LEDs with normal yellowy sidelight bulbs. And because I have xenons, it just looked stupid... white xenons on the outer lamps, yellowy sidelights on the inner lamps!

Anyway, here's my car with the LEDs fitted...

looking very 8-)

Posted 07 Jul 2010, 21:04 #6 

Simon
Thanks Jim, that's correct, fitted these whilst at work, and drove home with my new sidelights on, No Error. Sweet.

Steve, They look great with Xenon's fitted, thanks for the heads up buddy, will change them out before the MOT. Not due till Oct, I can't stand the standard bulbs, and they burn out quite quickly.

Will have to get some hi-bright-super-fandango-ultra-white Dipped beam bulbs to match now!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cheers fella's

Posted 07 Jul 2010, 21:08 #7 

1gp
will these also fit interior lights ?

Posted 07 Jul 2010, 21:11 #8 

Simon
No Jim, Unfortunately their Too long, :hissyfit:

I've got some of these on order though:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140414355562&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Don't know if there any good, but at that price, it's worth a punt!!!

Posted 07 Jul 2010, 21:17 #9 

MrB
I've fitted thoseinside mine.

Makes a real difference to the look inside with the very white light.

Am looking for some reasonably priced festoon bulbs now to do the boot, glovebox and number plate lights.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 07 Jul 2010, 21:45 #10 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Simon wrote:No Jim, Unfortunately their Too long, :hissyfit:

I've got some of these on order though:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140414355562&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Don't know if there any good, but at that price, it's worth a punt!!!

I've just fitted some, the look really good and are brighter than the 5 watt filament type ones I had installed which were an upgrade from the original 3 watt. I haven't used them in ernest yet ie map reading.
Bit fiddly to get to work, had to push some in and out a few times and wiggle them about but they all came on eventually and have stayed that way.

Posted 07 Jul 2010, 21:50 #11 

1gp
MrB wrote:I've fitted thoseinside mine.

Am looking for some reasonably priced festoon bulbs now to do the boot, glovebox and number plate lights.

Chris

and there a good fit ? is it 6 bulbs for interior lights ? not near my car at moment.

Posted 07 Jul 2010, 21:51 #12 

Ragman
Getting back to the original post - well #456 passed her MOT without a single advise last week with LED's fitted front and rear

Posted 07 Jul 2010, 21:53 #13 

MrB
1gp wrote:
MrB wrote:I've fitted thoseinside mine.

Chris

and there a good fit ? is it 6 bulbs for interior lights ? not near my car at moment.

Yep are a good fit. You might have to adjust the little wires a bit and take them out and try them turned 180 degrees as they are polarity dependent, but mine all worked and look great.

You need 5 - 3 in the front and 2 in the rear.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 07 Jul 2010, 22:01 #14 

MrB
On the subject of the MOT, my Civ failed its MOT last year on Blue Sidelight Bulbs - they weren't blue they were super bright white LED's. Really does depend on the tester.

I would put some standard ones in just for the test.
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 07 Jul 2010, 22:03 #15 

Simon
Thanks for all your replys and advise Gents

Lokking forward to fitting these, IIRC I've got 3 watt 501's in my interior, suit the beige, But want a little extra you know.

Thanks for the Heads Up Colin, think I might air on the side of caution and change them out to standard 501's just to save face!! :em:

Thanks Fella's

Posted 07 Jul 2010, 22:20 #16 

suzublu
Simon wrote:Thanks Jim, that's correct, fitted these whilst at work, and drove home with my new sidelights on, No Error. Sweet.

Steve, They look great with Xenon's fitted, thanks for the heads up buddy, will change them out before the MOT. Not due till Oct, I can't stand the standard bulbs, and they burn out quite quickly.

Will have to get some hi-bright-super-fandango-ultra-white Dipped beam bulbs to match now!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cheers fella's

Hi Simon, i,ve got led,s all over & in the dipped beam i have HID (High Intensity Discharge) bulbs which in my opinion, are at least 10 times better than halogen.They are 6000k brightness which give a lovely white light. :clap:

Posted 08 Jul 2010, 17:42 #17 

loz1971

Isn't this Mantiniak from the other side, I thought the led guy was his Feebay name, always asking him directly if you want LED's as he will sell them to you cheaper than he sells them on Feebay!! ;) ;) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:nurse:ALWAYS BE MORE HOPEFUL!!! Image

[centre]"Plus It's not a man purse, it's called a satchel...Indiana Jones wears one"[/centre]

Posted 08 Jul 2010, 18:47 #18 

Duncan
The problem with the blue depends on the quality of the LEDs.

For anyone that didn't know: they work by having a Blue LED covered by a flourescent material that glows white when you shine blue light on it. Just like in flourescent tubes.

On chepaer LEDs too much of the blue gets through and they look too blue. Things are getting better these days. Some cars use LEDs as standard for the front lighting, including some using LED headlamps. So they are not illigal (MOT failures) just by being LED.

However, the LED lamps should technically be E marked which I bet they are not, and the lights were E approved with E marked incandescant lamps, so not sure where that stands either.

That all said, I do think they look better, particularly with Xenons.

Posted 08 Jul 2010, 19:05 #19 

Simon
suzublu wrote:
Simon wrote:Thanks Jim, that's correct, fitted these whilst at work, and drove home with my new sidelights on, No Error. Sweet.

Cheers fella's

Hi Simon, i,ve got LED,s all over & in the dipped beam i have HID bulbs which in my opinion, are at least 10 times better than halogen.They are 6000k brightness which give a lovely white light. :clap:

I'd love a set of Xenons. One Day!!

Posted 08 Jul 2010, 20:26 #20