KV6 engine rattle, little audio clip by JustJames

JustJames
Hi folks, I haven't posted in ages, I hope ye are all well, my ZT started rattling some months ago (July or August direction iirc) and I only made a recording of it this week.......
http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t261 ... tle001.mp4
.... inlet manifold is a suspect but the noise seems to rhythmic to me compared to audio clips of other KV6s with manifold issues.

I posted this on RoverTech and a chap suggested posting on another 75/ZT site, only today did I track down this one again, my laptop died some months ago and I never transferred over my favourites although a computer shop has out all that stuff on an external hard drive for me, I wouldn't be the best with the computers.

Posted 27 Jan 2012, 23:46 #1 

RhodieBill
Hi, shame you didn't turn on the lights.....

Anyway, I'm no profesional but that sounds more like a 'top-end' knock.....

Sorry I can't be of more help.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regards, Bill

Posted 28 Jan 2012, 11:30 #2 

JustJames
No bother, cheers for the reply, I agree it does sound engine rather than manifold related.

Posted 28 Jan 2012, 15:04 #3 

SpongeBob
Where in the country are you James? It may be there is a decent garage near you that someone can recommend to take your car for a check over.

Posted 28 Jan 2012, 20:51 #4 

takestock
certainly not butterflies on the inlet manifold :(
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 28 Jan 2012, 20:59 #5 

JustJames
SpongeBob wrote:Where in the country are you James? It may be there is a decent garage near you that someone can recommend to take your car for a check over.

I'm over in Ireland, Cork to be exact.
In fairness to it, whatever the issue is it doesn't seem to be effecting the car in any way, as mentioned it's like that for 5 months at least.

Three recommendations to use an engine flush over on RoverTech, I'm going on a 320 mile round trip on Monday so didn't want to flush it incase the car took offence to it so went and replaced the oil with 10w40 semi syn diesel oil for a gentle slow flush yesterday, doesn't seem to have made any difference, I didn't expect anything immediately though.

Posted 28 Jan 2012, 22:47 #6 

yl51hfb
Mine used to make that noise, not all the time only when parked up for a few days. In the end it turned out to be a lazy lifter. I bought some Redex Engine flush and drove around 200 miles with it in and then changed the oil with some Asda 10W-40 and did another 200 miles and then changed it for some Millers XST stuff, I like Millers oils and its been fine ever since and not had the noise back either.

But running it with diesel oil will do the same thing in the end, clear all the much out of it.

Posted 10 Feb 2012, 21:05 #7