Kenlowe - not fit and forget by PaulT (Page 1 of 2)

PaulT
My car had the three speed fan that decided to call it a day. I therefore fitted the Kenlowe about 2 years ago. Earlier this year I noticed that the fan was not running with the a/c on. Thought it was a wiring problem having checked fuses and relays.

Last night I pulled the pumper and light panel off, connected a three wires to the fan and connected these direct to the battery - and absolutely nothing. So the wonderful Kenlowe has lasted a lot less than the original 3 speeder.

I will contact Kenlowe on Monday (bought it direct) to see if I am within the 2 years. If not looks like a little more dosh to shell out.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 10 Jul 2010, 11:22 #1 

takestock
Ouch, that is not good news, especially for all the people who have converted :(
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 10 Jul 2010, 14:04 #2 

stubie
Hopefully an exception rather than the rule, as I 've just fitted one.

Stubs

Posted 10 Jul 2010, 14:18 #3 

Bernard
I've seen a couple of Kenlowes fitted in our workshop to a Nissan 4X4. Both failed in quick succession. The first seized solid, I can't remember the second.
The owner had the original viscuous coupling type refitted eventually.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 10 Jul 2010, 16:06 #4 

starbug2
takestock wrote:Ouch, that is not good news, especially for all the people who have converted :(

i've got one :panic: :panic: :panic: :shock:

Posted 10 Jul 2010, 19:07 #5 

MrB
Hmmm fitting my Kenlowe kit tomorrow - weather permitting.

Does make you wonder if a second hand 2 speed kit from a late model scrapper with Jules' resistor upgrade would be a better long term solution?
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 11 Jul 2010, 00:36 #6 

raistlin
Ah, that's bad news :(

I was thinking of going the Kenlowe route when my fan decides to give up the ghost.

I thought Kenlowe were synonymous with quality :confused:
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 11 Jul 2010, 10:19 #7 

ceedy
Was going the same route .. but glad I tried My own VX Bosch Motor Fit.. Phew!!

And Still working , well at the mo it its !!
Got one for Me , Then one for her, and now a big one for me again, All BLOO! Well saves on the touch up paint, Now Number one son's Spoilt it all by getting a Firefrost 1.8T

Posted 11 Jul 2010, 10:25 #8 

starbug2
jules thinks they are good as he fits them

Posted 11 Jul 2010, 14:12 #9 

PaulT
starbug2 wrote:jules thinks they are good as he fits them

I hope they are and I have got a rogue one - but all the same, mine has failed.

Shame Jules does not seem to be a member here - some feedback would be good
Paul

Posted 11 Jul 2010, 17:42 #10 

starbug2
i've contacted jules , i'll that you know of any comments i get back . over all i have heard nothing but good things about these fans :thumbsup:

Posted 12 Jul 2010, 07:55 #11 

PaulT
I have spoken to Kenlowe this morning - bought it directly from them on 13/05/2008 so just out of the 2 year warranty.

However, they have said send it back and they will have a look at it.

So this evening I will be mostly be pulling the front end off of the car
Paul

Posted 12 Jul 2010, 12:02 #12 

MrB
Paul

Check the condition of your A/C condensor when you take the fan off.

I wonder if it's been working overtime due to a condensor in poor condition??
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 12 Jul 2010, 18:24 #13 

James.uk
I went the upgraded resister and a new motor route. :D.

Posted 12 Jul 2010, 18:53 #14 

Jules
(Trader)
Agree with Mr B check your Condenser
The recent Hot weather has even killed off some of the Later OEM 2 speeders. (seized or Burnt windings!)
They are not designed to run full pelt if you have a Duff condenser.

Don't Panic everyone !
I've only had a minute percentage of Kenlowes fail mainly due to incorrect wiring by Garages who don't read my instructions properly!
(100's sold in last 2 years)

Here's more info about what can go wrong with some of the components in an AC System :

The problem I suspect is caused by an inefficient AC condenser which can no longer cool the Gas quickly enough.
This causes heat build up & the pressure in the system to rise from a normal running pressure of 10-14 BAR (140-196 PSI ) possibly up to a highly dangerous 30 BAR (420 PSI) especially if cooling Fan U/S
In theory the Trinary has a third pressure state at dangerous pressures to inhibit the Compressor. (figures TBA)
I've witnessed the R134 Gauges go off the scale with duff Fan motors/Condensers, and anyone continuing to use their Aircon in this state are driving a time bomb as something will "give" one day. (usually a pipe or condenser/compressor seals)

With abnormal pressure the Trinary switch will invoke FULL speed Cooling Fan possibly for the whole journey while AC is on With a duff Cooling motor.
Neither the Kenlowe or indeed the MGR OEM Fans were designed to run full pelt continuously!

This is a very common problem now (if Vehicle is over 5 years old or has covered in excess of 90k miles), that the AC condenser will have rotted or even have many fins missing due to corrosion. They crumble away if a finger is run along them.

In the worst cases, a pile a Aluminium flaky powder will be found wedged at the bottom of the Radiator.

THIS IS A PROBLEM WITH MANY MAKES NOT JUST ROVER!!

The condenser will be up to 65% down on cooling efficiency, and consequently the compressed R134a Gas will get excessively hot together with the compressor and the surrounding HP (high pressure) pipes. (if too hot to touch my advice is DO NOT use your Aircon!)

The symptoms are that the cooling fan will start on SLOW speed and soon after will ramp up to FULL speed even with a new cooling fan fitted. This is energy wasting and will put undue wear on the cooling fan, together with reduced MPG.

A simple DIY test can be carried out by the owner to establish whether HIGH speed Fan is Gas related.

1: With AC running feel the small HP pipe which should only get luke warm.

2: With AC running, disconnect the Trinary plug (driver's side bulkhead) if the Fan reduces in speed chances are the Condenser is past it's best.

Also the evaporator will take longer to cool the Vehicle interior down, if at all in the worst cases.
So think seriously while all the front end of the Car is dismantled, to renew the condenser.

We supply OEM Condensers complete with O rings (the RRP of seals alone will cost £14 if purchased separately from our competitors!) and a new integral dryer cannister. Contact me for latest prices (Usually in Stock here)

Obviously a complete de gas / regas will be required when replacing the Condenser.

Posted 12 Jul 2010, 19:51 #15 

PaulT
Jules

Thanks for the feedback. As for the condensor a new one fitted just over a year ago.
Paul

Posted 12 Jul 2010, 20:30 #16 

JohnDotCom
Good Info there Jules, nice to see you Post on here. ;)
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 13 Jul 2010, 00:04 #17 

James.uk
:iagree: On both counts. :) :thumbsup:

Posted 13 Jul 2010, 01:08 #18 

MrB
James.uk wrote::iagree: On both counts. :) :thumbsup:

:iagree: me too

Jules wrote:Don't Panic everyone !
I've only had a minute percentage of Kenlowes fail mainly due to incorrect wiring by Garages who don't read my instructions properly!
(100's sold in last 2 years)

Jules

Just to clarify - have some wired in just slow and medium?? Therefore not getting the use of full speed?

Am hopefully wiring mine in this evening, weather permitting.

Cheers

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 13 Jul 2010, 09:48 #19 

starbug2
as jules has posted no need for me to say anything other than :thumbsup: my contact with him worked and can feel good for a moment :cheers:

Posted 13 Jul 2010, 16:44 #20