Just so you know about my missus :) by takestock (Page 1 of 2)

• Related topics: (no related topics)

takestock
Quite obvious to all I do not get to as many meets now as I would like, partly down to work commitments and demand but primarily that is not the reason.

As many know Marina has suffered considerably with her knee for some years now. Three operations have failed and left her in constant pain, unable to stand for long and quite immobile. Tomorrow is a bit of a last chance saloon for her, We go to the hospital for a knee splint measuring and then back again on Friday for it fitting. The splint immobilizes the knee. Then we have had some radio active substance imported from Belgium of all places and this is injected into the the knee. Timing is crucial as the injection has a very limited shelf life. So short in fact that the knee is immobilized for 4 days and the injection is then inert and left in. for the four days she is not allowed near children or pregnant women and the knee is wrapped in a protective layer.
The purpose of the injection is to kill the remainder of the synoptic layer in the knee that they have failed to remove in the three previous operations which included removal of part of her kneecap.

Hopefully this will stop the fluid that amasses around her knee and is the cause of so much pain, and the Bakers cyst will also begin to shrink. If so, they can insert and artificial layer and that should be the end of it. Then you better watch out at the Nanos, I still have a stupid sense of humour that needs exercise :)

If not then we have two further chances, Knee replacement but for some reason the surgeon is really really reluctant to go down this route claiming the type of damage is not usually cured by knee replacement. Don't really understand that one??

Second choice is to remove the limb to alleviate the pain, doesn't bear thinking about, she is fifty.

Sorry if you have aching knees or are having your tea :D
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 18 Feb 2015, 16:48 #1 

dattrike
Hope it goes well for her Dave, I had a bakers cyst burst back in March last year in my left knee, it hurt like hell. Wishing you both a better future.

Posted 18 Feb 2015, 17:40 #2 

Duncan
Well, wish her well. You are both missed at the Nanos!

Posted 18 Feb 2015, 18:02 #3 

raistlin
Love and best wishes to Marina Dave. Hope to see you BOTH at the nanos in due course :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 18 Feb 2015, 18:11 #4 

Trebor
Please wish her all the best from me Dave, you will need to watch out too if all goes to plan as she will be bionic !

The Nanos are a poorer place without you both and Saturday evenings lack the X factor since you have been unable to attend, so let's hope you will be back on the meet gallery before long
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 18 Feb 2015, 19:41 #5 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Please pass on my best wishes for a good outcome.
Hope to see you both sooner rather than later.

Posted 18 Feb 2015, 20:11 #6 

Jürgen
Marina, I wish you all the best and will keep my fingers crossed for you. Looking forward to meet you and Dave at Four Ashes in the near future.

Posted 19 Feb 2015, 12:26 #7 

Gren 24
Hope all goes well for Marina, and it works for her the first time.Look foward to seeing you both at the Nanos.Fingers crossed for you both.

Posted 19 Feb 2015, 17:43 #8 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Dave/Marina.
I have only just read this :em: hopefully the splint fitting etc all went to plan and it works, and you can both get back to having a good social life as we all know how much you enjoy people and we enjoy your company also, all the best Steve & Gail

Ps Fingers crossed
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 21 Feb 2015, 01:18 #9 

takestock
Thanks All,
Yesterday was not nice, made my missus cry, sticking needles under kneecaps. I find it unreal in this day and age that we cannot remove the pain from surgery like this. :(
Still, all went well and we will know in around 12 weeks if it has been successful. On the brighter side I had a chat with the consultant yesterday and there is a process in which the signals from the nerves around the knee can be blocked this in turn would stop the fluid being produced ( they hope) and this is another avenue to follow.

Not sure I like this, Dave does everything for the whole weekend routine though. Dishwasher I can work out but the washing machine is the work of the devil :( :( :(
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 21 Feb 2015, 08:46 #10 

Trebor
Don't forget the fabric conditioner Dave !
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 21 Feb 2015, 23:39 #11 

Bolin
Hope the next stage goes well for her Dave.

Posted 24 Feb 2015, 00:54 #12 

starbug2
we hope all is better asap

Posted 25 Feb 2015, 09:18 #13 

PaulT
Dave, sympathies to both of you.

Perhaps it was not the case but could it have been the needles under the kneecap to ascertain whether the nerve endings were live which would not have been possible with a local anaesthetic?
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 25 Feb 2015, 20:40 #14 

Trebor
Any news Dave hope all is ok
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 01 Mar 2015, 08:29 #15 

woolleysox
How's marinas progress to date Dave?

Best wishes to you both
Woolleysox

midlandsnanomeets.co.uk

Posted 01 Mar 2015, 18:00 #16 

takestock
Hi All,
Well the steroid injection has now worn off, the steroid injection reduces the swelling for a short time. During that time the pain diminished and the mobility returned so Marina was to be seen smiling at nothing, and pottering about the house, such a pleasure.
As I say steroid has now worn off as we knew it would and the pain and swelling have returned, bringing with it the immobility. To be fair the professor did say it would get worse before it got better and that is where we are now. hopefully over the coming weeks we will see an improvement.
It has been a long road for Marina, those who know of her problem will remember the 20 months of Methotrexate (horrible drug) that made her hair start to fall out and how ill it made her, and had no impact on the problem. This has gone on for years now.

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes.

D...
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 06 Mar 2015, 10:26 #17 

Last edited by takestock on 07 Mar 2015, 18:13, edited 1 time in total.

Arctic
(Trader)
HI Dave.
Hopefully as you say the coming weeks will show a improvement and Marina will get a rest from this horrible situation, please pass on our good wishes to Marina we have a fingers crossed for you both Steve & Gail :thumbsup:
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 06 Mar 2015, 11:27 #18 

Borg Warner
Just seen this Dave, hope things are improving.

Gary M.

Posted 08 Mar 2015, 19:22 #19 

JohnDotCom
Hi Dave, please pass on my love to Marina, and I hope that this treatment is a complete success.
Then you should think of taking it a bit easier too.
Always in my thoughts mate, all the best.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 27 Mar 2015, 23:14 #20