Just in case you missed it. by Mick

Mick
(Site Admin)

Posted 12 Sep 2012, 20:53 #1 

Jürgen
:ugeek:

Posted 12 Sep 2012, 21:11 #2 

Duncan
I tried, but a friend who claims not to be a geek, posted almost a dozen threads on facebook about it!

Posted 12 Sep 2012, 21:34 #3 

SpongeBob
I quite like those chamfered edges - they look quite smart in the photographs. The black/graphite one particularly looks nice.

Posted 13 Sep 2012, 08:05 #4 

Mad-Monkey
I don't think it offers much over the 4 or 4S, I'll wait for the 6 I think!

Posted 13 Sep 2012, 08:12 #5 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Monk wrote:I don't think it offers much over the 4 or 4S, I'll wait for the 6 I think!

Only thinner, lighter, twice the processor speed, larger screen, backwards compatible apps, 4G, but if you are happy with what you have, Apple or any other manufacturer. Why change. ;)

Personally I have no interest, I use a £20.00 Nokia, makes calls in and out, texts, tells me the time. standby time over a week etc. etc. :lol:

Posted 13 Sep 2012, 09:28 #6 

Mad-Monkey
Mick wrote:
Monk wrote:I don't think it offers much over the 4 or 4S, I'll wait for the 6 I think!

Only thinner, lighter, twice the processor speed, larger screen, backwards compatible apps, 4G, but if you are happy with what you have, Apple or any other manufacturer. Why change. ;)

Personally I have no interest, I use a £20.00 Nokia, makes calls in and out, texts, tells me the time. standby time over a week etc. etc. :lol:

Exactly, how long have people waited for the 5 and the improvements seem quite small! It's a style/fashion accessory that costs the earth ;)

I still like my Nokia Communicator! It's an awesome brick! I have my 6230 somewhere too! Nokia made so e cracking phones back in the day! :)

Posted 13 Sep 2012, 09:42 #7 

Gate Keeper
Available in the U.S.A from $199 and in the UK from £529

Something wrong there

Posted 13 Sep 2012, 13:10 #8 

Gate Keeper
I get these prices because Safari thinks I am always in the US and it is the same on AOL. I have never been able to change location.

Posted 13 Sep 2012, 13:12 #9 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Gate Keeper wrote:I get these prices because Safari thinks I am always in the US and it is the same on AOL. I have never been able to change location.

Delete the Apple bookmark http://www.apple.com and replace it with http://www.apple.com/uk

If you got to http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/s ... ily/iphone you will see a number one next to the price of $199.00 scroll down and read the caveat.

On the UK site http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/s ... e/iphone4s you will see Iphones are sold unlocked, you can choose who you want a contract with or PAYG. You can of course buy one from most phone shops with a contract and just pay £200.00 for the phone plus the contract.

Posted 13 Sep 2012, 13:39 #10 

Gate Keeper
It just goes to show how important it is to check the small print :) For now I will plod on with the 3GS on PAYG. Thanks for the info about changing the Apple bookmark.

Posted 14 Sep 2012, 08:15 #11 

Gate Keeper
Thanks I did the bookmark change and it worked.

Today I tried to load up Windows XP using VMware fusion 2 and it failed to connect. The Apple community forums said there is no chance of it working with OSX 10.7.4

I looked at VM 5, Parallels 7 / 8 and Virtual Box.

One view claims that Parallels does not have an uninstall feature. Another says that VM 5 runs faster and does not get the same number of frequent requests to update as happens in Parallel 8. The community forum in Mac leans towards VMware 5

Mick, do you have experience of either and if so, do you have a preference for accessing Windows on a Mac?

Posted 17 Sep 2012, 19:47 #12 

Mick
(Site Admin)
No idea mate, never had any requests for Windows on a Mac so haven't looked into it.

If forced I would go for Boot Camp rather than an emulator.

Posted 17 Sep 2012, 23:56 #13 

Gate Keeper
I just checked Boot Camp and it says to do a back up before the partition is done. A member has given me a diagnostics disc and it can only be be run on Windows.

Posted 18 Sep 2012, 10:03 #14