Just had the CDTI cut out on me by ceedy

ceedy
Stuck toe down this afternoon going up a hill ,and it just wouldn't go, no kickdown no go..? let off and tried again and there was nothing, It had cut out . had enough momentun to get me over the hill, was just pulling to the side, and before i stopped I switched off and restarted ,
it all fired up and its just as though nothing has happended ? .

Floored it a few times to get it to cut out again , but no ? ..

Was very hot outside and just crawled throught the town @ 30 degrees outside.

Still on original pumps at 112k miles , wonder if one or both are failing ??
New PCv, EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve) bypassed, Fairly new Bosch Maf with RR Synergy.
any thoughts peeps..
Got one for Me , Then one for her, and now a big one for me again, All BLOO! Well saves on the touch up paint, Now Number one son's Spoilt it all by getting a Firefrost 1.8T

Posted 25 May 2012, 18:27 #1 

kandyman
Yes it was hot today :)

How much fuel did you have in the tank ?

Posted 25 May 2012, 18:33 #2 

ceedy
tis getting bit low probably approaching the dreaded 1/4 tank :panic:

might have to search out that Mikon pump I bought couple years ago ! ;)
Got one for Me , Then one for her, and now a big one for me again, All BLOO! Well saves on the touch up paint, Now Number one son's Spoilt it all by getting a Firefrost 1.8T

Posted 25 May 2012, 18:42 #3 

Bermudan 75
I had these symptoms on a number of occasions. The last time the car had no umph, would not rev over 3k and then died. Replaced both fuel pumps and never let the fuel go under 1/4 tank.

Posted 26 May 2012, 09:23 #4 

ceedy
Well had a Listen down by the back seat ... didn't hear anything?... :-?

Had a nice hour in the SUN ! :shock: got the old pump out..

it looks nice and clean ! stuck 12 volt on it it whizzed way ..

Stuck it in a bucket of water and it shoots a jet about 6-8 ft away :-?

Posted 26 May 2012, 13:25 #5 

ceedy
Well as it was off, Put the new Mikon pump in ..But all pretty painless, getting off the corrugated pipe was the hardest bit. and then a fumble & cracking the plastic filter clip .. you can't use the filter supplied with the Mikon pump it gets in the way of the tank housing at the bottom. So made a new clippy bit and it ain't coming orf now !!

A few pictures available if of any interest.

Actually I can only just hear this pump running, with the seat and carpet up .
Reckon the old pump is still ok after 112k miles .
Well handy as a spare @ 224k miles. :-D :-D

Now to keep an eye on the under bonnet pump, that one does seem a little noisier ..

Chris

Posted 26 May 2012, 15:50 #6 

kandyman
Busy afternoon for you.

Hope changing the pump sorts out your problem.

Posted 26 May 2012, 16:31 #7 

Arctic
(Trader)
ceedy wrote:Well as it was off, Put the new Mikon pump in ..But all pretty painless, getting off the corrugated pipe was the hardest bit. and then a fumble & cracking the plastic filter clip .. you can't use the filter supplied with the Mikon pump it gets in the way of the tank housing at the bottom. So made a new clippy bit and it ain't coming orf now !!

A few pictures available if of any interest.

Actually I can only just hear this pump running, with the seat and carpet up .
Reckon the old pump is still ok after 112k miles .
Well handy as a spare @ 224k miles. :-D :-D

Now to keep an eye on the under bonnet pump, that one does seem a little noisier ..

Chris

Hi Chris.
hope it as sorted for you but i bet at 1/4 tank and going up an hill was more likely the problem and pics are a must :thumbsup:
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 27 May 2012, 22:11 #8 

ceedy
http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk74/ceedy44/ZT%20in%20Tank%20Pump%20change/

why has this link gone pear shaped ?

Can add some gibberish to the pics if needed to make a sort of "How to" ?

Chris

Posted 29 May 2012, 12:33 #9 

raistlin
ceedy wrote:Can add some gibberish to the pics if needed to make a sort of "How to" ?

I'd be really keen to see this how-to Chris. I have both UBP and ITP insert coming from MKON, hopefully arriving Thursday and haven't a clue what to do.

VeeKay cut out on the biggest, busiest roundabout on the Wolverhampton ring-road the other day... scary :(

Checked the UBP and it had stopped. A few taps with a screwdriver got it running again but had to go through the same process before I managed to get home.

No sound from the ITP either so I reckon the ITP has been knackered for a while and the UBP has just given up the unequal task of doing the job of both pumps.

So - yes, detailed how-to (sutiable for a numpty) as quick as you like please :lol:
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 05 Jun 2012, 15:28 #10 

Mick
(Site Admin)
A bit like this one Chris did earlier? in-tank-pump-change-diesel.html

Posted 05 Jun 2012, 15:39 #11 

raistlin
Mick wrote:A bit like this one Chris did earlier? in-tank-pump-change-diesel.html

Thank you Mick :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 05 Jun 2012, 16:00 #12