Jailbreaking an IPhone 4 by raistlin

raistlin
Can anybody tell me what this is please, and more importantly, what effects (short and long term) it might have on a brand new IPhone 4?

I've seen some stuff on YouTube but I'd rather take the advice of people I trust :)

Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 01 Apr 2011, 16:41 #1 

JohnDotCom
I thought it was when you unlocked your phone so you could use other companies chip and facilities etc.
Also for using Apps that Apple generally block, that sort of thing.
I am sure someone will be along shortly to put the correct use of Jailbreaking (not the type from HM Prisons)
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 01 Apr 2011, 16:51 #2 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Jailbreak and unlock appear to me to be pretty much the same thing with differing names. Unlocking can afford the option to move to another service provider, which may be useful, if it doesn't wreck the OS installed when the next update becomes available. I believe it also affords the ability to run such scintillating apps as MY3G and MYWI.
MY3G is now rendered useless as Facetime is now implemented to talk phone to phone over 3G as well as WiFi. Not sure what MYWI is supposed to do, it seems to me that Jailbreaking is in the realms of "I'm a cretin, look at all the shite eye candy enhancements I run on my fone innit" No offence JamesUK. :D

Posted 01 Apr 2011, 17:01 #3 

James.uk
heh heh.. Ellow Mick. :)

I am on Orange.. Only use my phone for phone calls, and have only made about £35 worth of calls on it in the last 3 years... :lol:

M/biles have their uses though, and at times are life savers, but I am not into all the bells n whistles.. :roll: :em:

Using a PC is about as uptodate as I will ever get innit.. :D

Posted 01 Apr 2011, 17:57 #4 

Cowley_MOA
I have a friend with a Jail Broken iphone 4, and it allows him to download any apps he wants free of charge. However the jailbreaking practise as I understand it is 'disliked' by Apple / the phone companies and IIRC they have the ability to kill the phone down remotely. I may be wrong though.
Superabit omnia virtus

Posted 01 Apr 2011, 18:11 #5 

SpongeBob
Jailbreaking also lends your phone open to exploits or vulnerabilities. If a new update to the software for the iPhone becomes available to either fix these exploits or to provide new features it will overide the "jailbreak" thus rendering any of those non-qualified apps unusable.

In my view there is no need to jailbreak your phone as everything I could possibly need is either provided by Apple or by many of the thousands of people making apps for it.

Incidentally, Jailbreaking is not the same as unlocking. In theory all iPhones of any version are unlocked and you can use any networks SIM cards in them, however only select mobile operators are geared up to offering iPhone-specific tariffs which grant you the visual voicemail and extended data allowances to accommodate the iPhone.

Posted 01 Apr 2011, 18:18 #6 

Mick
(Site Admin)
My error, I presumed too much. I'll tell how much when I Facetime your face. :D

Posted 01 Apr 2011, 18:30 #7 

SpongeBob
Mick wrote:My error, I presumed too much. I'll tell how much when I Facetime your face. :D

Don't worry ;) I guess though the terms do get thrown around a lot and unless you've got an iPhone you probably wouldn't need to spend more than a passing glance at the terms :) Well, I wouldn't anyhow :D

Posted 01 Apr 2011, 18:34 #8 

Mick
(Site Admin)
SpongeBob wrote:
Mick wrote:My error, I presumed too much. I'll tell how much when I Facetime your face. :D

Don't worry ;) I guess though the terms do get thrown around a lot and unless you've got an iPhone you probably wouldn't need to spend more than a passing glance at the terms :) Well, I wouldn't anyhow :D

Cheeky little ragamuffin, I'm gonna give your Facetime address to all my pals that can afford to own an Iphone. an Ipad, an Ipod and any Apple computer. That's just 527 for starters. Then I'm gonna sell it to some Albanian people purchasers for 11/6 in real money.
Scared yet??????? :scared:

Posted 01 Apr 2011, 18:45 #9 

takestock
Mick has 527 friends?

Please move this to the humour section :D :D :D
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 01 Apr 2011, 19:20 #10 

Mick
(Site Admin)
takestock wrote:Mick has 527 friends?

Please move this to the humour section :D :D :D

That's clients, One friend and many acquaintances. Now where's the miserable old git section. :hissyfit:

Posted 01 Apr 2011, 19:39 #11 

JohnDotCom
The miserable old Git section isn't being used due to the miserable old Gits in it! :)

Meanwhile.......
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 01 Apr 2011, 20:50 #12 

Bernard
Mick wrote:
That's clients, One friend and many acquaintances. Now where's the miserable old git section. :hissyfit:

I'm here, being miserable on my own. :mad1:
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 01 Apr 2011, 21:28 #13