Itunes advice please. by raistlin

raistlin
Any Itunes knowledge out there please?

When you are making a playlist, the default column titles (Name, Artist, Album, Genre, Rating) etc. are displayed each time. I know I can change what is displayed for each play list as I make it but surely there must be a way to change the default values?

Any ideas please?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 10 Jun 2012, 17:46 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Only if you change the setting. Music Library........ View/View options. New playlists will have the same settings as the Music library.
That's the best I can do. ;)

Posted 10 Jun 2012, 17:57 #2 

kandyman
iTunes is black magic,

It works so I leave it alone. :)

Posted 10 Jun 2012, 18:07 #3 

raistlin
Mick wrote:Only if you change the setting. Music Library........ View/View options. New playlists will have the same settings as the Music library.
That's the best I can do. ;)

Worth a try thanks Mick :)
Paul

Posted 10 Jun 2012, 18:10 #4 

raistlin
Works perfectly. Thank Mick :)
Paul

Posted 10 Jun 2012, 18:16 #5 

pob06
I hate itunes with a passion - hateful, loathsome thing !! (dont even get me on the ease of use/censorship/randomly removing tracks from my library/appalling customer service (ha!) soapbox!!!!!!) - but do like the styling of my ipod classics.

I've actually bought a second hand Creative Zen Vision M and also a Vision W. Easy peasy drag and drop use and infinately better sound quality (no volume capping and just as intuitive controls), look quite cool too.

With those and my Desire HD phone I've hardly looked back.

If there are any itunes gurus on here mind, I wouldnt mind asking a few questions.....
Despite the high cost of living its still proving popular.

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 15:43 #6 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Go for it. I'm using on Mac and have done since it was created.

Probably get stumped by your first question. :D

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 15:54 #7 

pob06
haha, heres a couple of easy ones then.

1) I have never been able to back up my library - its always only given me the option of a dvd burner and says there is not enough space. This has happened since the day i installed it. Could not back up even the first dozen songs

2) I've bought songs and albums on itunes that itunes decided to randomly delete. Cant always find them on itunes anymore (eg half an album dissappeared). When I sync, it comes up - "there are songs on your ipod that you have purchased that are not on your pc, do you want to transfer?" (or words to that effect) - selecting yes doesnt.

3) Foreign language learning podcasts. Itunes downloads but will only display in latest downloaded order, makes sense until you come to learn - instead of starting with the first lesson you start at the newest hardest one and then get easier. There doesnt seem to be a setting so that it plays them one after another in proper 'getting harder' order =--- might be user error here mind

Windows XP btw

:o)

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 16:14 #8 

Mick
(Site Admin)
1. In what format are you importing music? Preferences/General..............Import settings. If you can only fit 12 on a CD they are probably AIFF. You can convert non mp3 files to .mp3 by selecting the song, then menu bar/advanced/Create mp3 version. The original remains. aiff would be on average 60Mb for a 3 minute track and .mp3 of the same track will be 6Mb or less. That would only allow 120 tracks approx. AFAIK you cannot spread a write out over multiple CDs.
Having said all that there is no direct backup facility, only burn playlist to disc, in this case the playlist being larger than said disc.
To perform a backup of all your music. Go to iTunes preferences/Advanced. This will show you the location of your iTunes Music folder. You can then navigate to that folder and drag and drop it onto an external drive of an adequate size.

2. Not had any experience of this so can't help with this one. Certainly none of my clients or I (all Mac users) have mentioned it. They would. You can log into iTunes store and on entering your account you can download again any tracks, apps or films you have bought. They remain in the list there.

3. You can change the play order by clicking on the header above each column of the listing in the iTunes window to sort by. A-Z, Z-A or any other. If all else fails rename each track with a number or letter 123 abc in front of the title. then sort by name A-Z

Hope some of this helps.

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 17:56 #9 

pob06
Cheers Mick,

1) I just hit backup when itunes prompted me to back up my library, next time I'll look into it more.
2) Tried that and itunes either tells me that its unavaialble, I've alreay downloaded it (well yes but its dissappeared) or i have to buy it again, v strange, have gone through files and often the file title is squirrelled away (as itunes seems to do lol) but there is nothing there.
3) Ahaaaa user error maybe here ta

ta

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 18:35 #10 

Mick
(Site Admin)
1. Must be a Windoze thing. Not a function of the Mac version.

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 18:43 #11