Its sunday, windy and I am flummoxed. bloody brakes! by ned1

ned1
HI Guys

Done my front brakes yesterday, just gotn around to taking wheel of the back to start them ones.

The thing is I now know why my warning,light on the dash cam on a while back.., just noticed that the brake wear sensor cable (think that's what its called) well...its been spliced, dont know how ??????? I have bought all the parts such as new discs, pads and handbrake shoes, but looking at the pads already on ,,they look fine, the diss however do look a bot grotty and rusty and scored.

so do I adopt the attitude in for a penny in for a pound and replace the lot or just check my hand brake shoes and replace the sensor.
AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHH!

CLOCKING OFF FOR A COFFEE NOW
The road to success is always under construction.

Posted 27 Nov 2011, 11:47 #1 

ned1
Forgot to mention I have had the car for nearly 4 years and have never touched the back brakes. in that time i have done a grand total of 20,000 miles.

maybe i should just dive in....If i can get the bloody calliper off. nightmare!

Posted 27 Nov 2011, 11:50 #2 

ned1
bloody spell check ...harummph!

Posted 27 Nov 2011, 11:51 #3 

ned1
oh and where on earth does the brake pad wear cable go to? the front one went under the wheel arch...screwed on the back one!

Posted 27 Nov 2011, 11:53 #4 

ned1
:hissyfit:
I need a pint!

Posted 27 Nov 2011, 11:54 #5 

takestock
I take it you stayed in the pub then :D
If your discs are scored etc, you only have one option and that is to change them. :( you may want to contact Artic for the compensator mod for the handbrake whilst your at it :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 27 Nov 2011, 16:42 #6 

ned1
Hiya Takestock, nah i never had a pint, just had to sit back, put some reggae on and rethink the way forward.

Anyhow , I thought arrggghh Bugger it, didn't touch the back brakes at all, replaced the rear sensor with a new one ( found the male/female clip underneath after looking at how to pdf on this very site), and bingo..light went off!

cleaned em with some brake cleaner and bingo ...early finish.

That will do me to be honest.

I think i will see how it goes on test and then look at the mod for handbrake...to be honest it looks like a job that maybe a tad to fiddly for my rank amateur hands. Am I right in thinking the small cable from the handbrake to the modded bit can stretch? If so could I not just replace this

cheers

Ned

Posted 28 Nov 2011, 23:04 #7 

takestock
Sometimes it's best to leave alone :o If you have a lot of travel on your handbrake it is unlikely the cable has stretched, either shoe adjustment or compensator stretched, both are fiddly, nothing more. Compensator would be around an hour first time but Artic and myself can do them now in around 30 to 40 mins and neither of us are spring chickens :D :D.

If your stuck for some advice and a bit of a hand it is not out of the question for me to have a ride out one weekend up to middlesborough, but I would need to grovel a bit to her indoors :(. failing that there are some very hedukated ;) members around you just let me know I I will give them a poke with a sharp stick to wake them up :D
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 29 Nov 2011, 06:46 #8 

ned1
eeebye ecky thump, travelling from T'leeds to sunny Middlesbrough , what sane person wouldnt want to. lol

Thanks for that Takestock, to be honest my cars a right old dog, a workhorse certainly not one I would feel comfortable pulling up to one of your meets.

Posted 29 Nov 2011, 23:40 #9 

ned1
but i love her

Posted 29 Nov 2011, 23:47 #10 

takestock
Took you 7 minutes to confess :D :D :D

looking at the photos of the meet I can only say the camera is very flattering :) There was the guy who turned up at one of the workshop meets at A&L and the car andy was scrapping had a better door and bonnet than the one the lad had fitted, they happened to be the right colour too. Needless to say we had them changed over in under an hour, great fun. bring the beasty to any gathering, it's about banter and help not a concourse show, ;)
Give me a shout if you need a hand :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 30 Nov 2011, 07:22 #11 

MrB
My saloon had several dents etc but I have never felt that anyone looked at me, or her, in any unfavourable way at a meet.

Dave is right, come along and enjoy the banter.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 30 Nov 2011, 11:20 #12 

monsterness
You want to see the state of mine she is 3 different colours do i care , well she is in the paint shop in the next 2 weeks but she still wont be as good as a lot of the other members cars but i dont car just LOVE my car to me she is great

Posted 30 Nov 2011, 13:30 #13 

Bermudan 75
:iagree:

Some clubs just seem to be showcases for concours type cars, and God Forbid if you were under 50 !

Posted 30 Nov 2011, 13:49 #14 

ned1
Well thats it then chaps, I best get the hot glue gun , gaffer tape and hoover out.....err nowt kinky mind...just to get her sorted...( the car lads...the car ) sheesh! As for being under 50...come to mention it I am sure people double take when they see me at the wheel at the grand old age of 37. Must think I have twocked it? lol

Posted 30 Nov 2011, 23:06 #15 

ned1
Coming home from work tonight, some old geezer shunted my rear end TWICE at traffic lights , only minor scuff no damage, poor old bugger was deathly pale when I got out to inspect. Told him not to worry as I didnt want him having a bloody heart attack. Anyway it was --- to quote him-- "THIS BLOODY AUTOMATIC GEARBOX" .... as no further action was required we just went on our way...Imagine how many would have claimed whiplash eh...I thought I had stalled my car such was the gentle prod from behind.

Posted 30 Nov 2011, 23:11 #16 

ned1
Oh chaps I have had a proper cr@p day at work today, just read your posts and they cheered me up no end. Thanks!

Posted 30 Nov 2011, 23:13 #17 

kandyman
Hi Ned,

Glad no one was hurt in you little shunt today.

Posted 30 Nov 2011, 23:25 #18