It used to be so easy... by raistlin

raistlin
... plug the Iphone in and contacts would be synced with Outlook.

Not, it seems, any longer though.

Having just re-installed my PC I connected my Iphone to populate the "contacts" and "calendar" sections of Outlook 2010.

Nothing doing though :(

Having ploughed through various items via Google and having worked my way past various super egos, I can now confirm that ITunes is set to sync my IPhone to Outlook and it actually appears to do so in the yellow window in ITunes.

Unfortunately, nothing is being updated in Outlook, my contacts and calendar pages being empty.

PLEASE can somebody explain what to do, in simple terms?

Thank you.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 04 Dec 2011, 12:28 #1 

geesmith
You probably already checked but are there any 3rd party add-ins in Outlook (options/add ins/ COM add ins). Deselecting them may help itunes communicate with Outlook.

...or reinstall the Apple software after first uninstalling it.

I personally use none of the above, my daughter offered these suggestions.

I would probably suggest something crazy like dual booting with Linux Mint 11 and using their facilities but once again, while I know Mint caters for iphones I personally have no experience of using those facilities. There's always acres of help with Linux stuff...oh and no anti-virus clashes. :non existent spam smiley:

Posted 04 Dec 2011, 15:31 #2 

Last edited by geesmith on 04 Dec 2011, 15:41, edited 3 times in total.

Jürgen
Hi Paul, I used to encounter problems while syncing my iPhone with iTunes on a Windows 7 based PC, too.

Temporarily disabling the anti virus software solved the problem. So when I found out this correlation, I put all the iTunes related processes on the white list of the scanner.

If this doesn't help, try that:
  • First go to the device preferences in iTunes and tick off Prevent iPods ... from syncing automatically. It's located in the second tab from the right of the preferences window.
  • Then go back to your iPhone within the main window and deselect all types of sync related options (info, apps, music ...).
  • At the info tab tick off Sync Address Book Contacts only. Make sure there's no tick mark at Replace information on this iPhone within the advanced section of that page.
  • If the sync will succeed you can enable all the other relevant options again.
Hope this helps.

Posted 04 Dec 2011, 15:38 #3 

raistlin
Thanks Jürgen

Still the same :(

I wonder if it has to do with this "ICloud" nonsense?
Paul

Posted 04 Dec 2011, 16:59 #4 

Jürgen
Has the iCloud been activated on your iPhone (settings/iCloud)?

When using iCloud it's recommended not to sync your contacts with iTunes. It should give you a warning, when switching on syncing. If you intend to use the iCloud, then you'll need the iCloud Control Panel for Windows.
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1455?view ... cale=en_EN

Just another idea ...
Has iTunes recognized and accepted your iPhone or has it told you that it is associated with another computer?

Posted 04 Dec 2011, 18:51 #5 

Duncan
On a similar note, unless you have exchange, the new windows phones don't sync with outlook either. You have to use hotmail or google to sync via 'the cloud'. Do I trust said 'cloud' with all my phone numbers?

In other respects the windows phone is great, though.

Posted 04 Dec 2011, 19:32 #6 

raistlin
Thanks Jürgen.

Itunes has accepted my phone and I did get a warning about not syncing via Outlook.

The problem is, I use Outlo9ok for my contacts when using the phone at home and having just re-installed, the quickest way to populate the contacts in Outlook was to sync the phone.

How can I get the contacts on my phone into Outlook then? Assuming they've gone "cloudwards"
Paul

Posted 04 Dec 2011, 19:49 #7 

Jürgen
Paul, to check whether your contacts are already gone 'cloudwards', just log in at https://www.icloud.com/ and you'll see.
If so, I assume you'll need to install the above mentioned control panel, to get Outlook talking to the cloud. I never did this, as I switched to Mac OS before the iCloud service started.

Otherwise you can disable the iCloud transfer by going to Settings, iCloud on your iPhone and turning off the corresponding switch(es). Then start syncing with iTunes again.

Posted 04 Dec 2011, 21:19 #8 

raistlin
Thanks mate :) All is now explained. I think I might be happy to try the ICloud method for the time being, at least now that my Outlook is populated. Thanks for all the help.

Rgds

Paul
Paul

Posted 04 Dec 2011, 22:06 #9 

Jürgen
Glad to hear all the devices and software did at last what you intended.

Posted 04 Dec 2011, 22:09 #10 

JohnDotCom
Well sorted chaps. :cheers:
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 05 Dec 2011, 09:41 #11