IOS6 - something to be aware of by raistlin (Page 1 of 2)

raistlin
If you're upgrading your iPhone to IOS 6 via your PC USB ports, it's not a good idea to use a USB 3.0 port if it's attached to a PCI-e slot using XHCI.

Of course, Apple didn't tell me until after I'd bricked my iPhone 4.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 21 Sep 2012, 18:48 #1 

SpongeBob
Have you managed to un-brick your phone Paul?

I managed to upgrade wirelessly using the software update function on the phone. It did take a little while to download and process the data but it happily chugged along and updated itself without hassle :)

Posted 21 Sep 2012, 20:57 #2 

raistlin
No Simon, I have to take it into my local 3 store tomorrow along with a code number from Apple and it'll be exchanged. Luckily, all my stuff is backed up to iCloud.
Paul

Posted 21 Sep 2012, 21:43 #3 

Mick
(Site Admin)
If you haven't already, try this.

Presumably your device won't turn on or off, so let's first make sure it's off. Just like in the reset section, hold down the home and power buttons until your device shuts off.
Hold down the home button.
While still holding the home button, connect your iDevice to your computer. (The computer you use to sync with iTunes.)
When you see a screen with a USB cable and a picture of the iTunes icon, you can let go of the home button.
Restore your iDevice with iTunes using the restore instructions in the previous section.
That's one way to enter DFU mode that you can do while your device is still connected to your computer. You'll need a clock to help you count (don't count in your head!). Here are the steps:

Make sure your device is off.
Hold the power and home buttons for 10 seconds.
Release the power button but continue holding the home button for 10 more seconds.
Release the home button
Restore your iDevice with iTunes using the restore instructions in the previous section.

Posted 22 Sep 2012, 09:20 #4 

raistlin
I've been to the 3 shop Mick. I suspect they did what you suggested as I've got the original phone back.
Paul

Posted 22 Sep 2012, 10:04 #5 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Wouldn't be surprised, so many people brick their phones when jailbreaking them. :lol: Let alone doing a system upgrade. :lol:

Posted 22 Sep 2012, 10:08 #6 

raistlin
Apparently, Apple were well aware of the problems using XHCI based USB Mick.Would have been nice to have a warning. BTW - IOS6, as far as I can see, is the Apple equivalent of Microsoft's well known virus called Windows Millennium - nothing much new and a waste of time :lol:
Paul

Posted 22 Sep 2012, 10:17 #7 

Mick
(Site Admin)
So glad I've retired, I can just sit back and chuckle now. Instead of having to keep up. :lol:

Posted 22 Sep 2012, 11:20 #8 

Gate Keeper
easy when you know how :)

Is anyone going to get the iPhone 5? I am just wondering what the next trick is for Apple to pull out of the hat.

Posted 22 Sep 2012, 16:00 #9 

les4048
I've updated my i pad3 but I'm not too keen on updating my i phone 4s. As far as I can see the only thing that affects me are the google map has gone so we now have no street view and there's no "you tube" now :-(. They have added the facility to add pics into e mails as you type them rather than going to pic and sending as e mail, something that should have been there from the start. I used to love Apple products but not happy with them now

Posted 23 Sep 2012, 06:09 #10 

Gate Keeper
If you go to app search and tap in google maps, select all and 291 will come up. I did a retro download of youtube as that is also available. I have the older 3GS so what I did might not work on your later model Les. I do not know. The thing I hate about Apple products are that they are expensive in comparison to the competition. Good news for the share holders as people are still buying in their millions. I won't be using the app 'Find a friend'

Posted 23 Sep 2012, 09:06 #11 

les4048
Tried to post a comparison pic of the two satellite views comparing google on my i phone and the new apple maps on my i pad. Guess what, it won't upload. Another new feature of ios 6 which sucks. I hate Apple

Posted 23 Sep 2012, 09:31 #12 

les4048
Forgot to say the google is full of detail ie you can see houses etc but apple's one is so blurred you cannot see anything

Posted 23 Sep 2012, 09:32 #13 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Not unusual for a first iteration of a new system to suffer. If past experience is anything to go by, Apple will be listening and will make rapid changes to bring it up to speed. That's not to say it shouldn't have been right in the first instance.
Having worked in support of Apple computers since 1988 until 2 years ago, I have always recommended my clients wait a month or two before updating their systems and only if they regard it as being of particular benefit. The "must have the latest" and "right now" school of thought is in my view not a good thing.

Posted 23 Sep 2012, 09:42 #14 

Mick
(Site Admin)
les4048 wrote:Tried to post a comparison pic of the two satellite views comparing google on my i phone and the new apple maps on my i pad. Guess what, it won't upload. Another new feature of ios 6 which sucks. I hate Apple

Screen shot from Applemaps or anything else on an iPad is >4.5MB, the restriction on size uploads to the forum is 512KB. So in fact this is user error not IOS6 error. Tested on iPad 3 and, on iPhone 4s screenshot size is >753KB, again greater than the max size allowed on the forum uploader.
You can easily resize or crop your screenshots using the excellent iPhoto another Apple App.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Posted 23 Sep 2012, 10:08 #15 

Trebor
Ive lost my 3g since updating my I Pad 2 with IOS 6
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 23 Sep 2012, 11:55 #16 

Trebor
Now sorted with a factory reset of network settings
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 23 Sep 2012, 12:33 #17 

les4048
Mick wrote:
les4048 wrote:Tried to post a comparison pic of the two satellite views comparing google on my i phone and the new apple maps on my i pad. Guess what, it won't upload. Another new feature of ios 6 which sucks. I hate Apple

Screen shot from Applemaps or anything else on an iPad is >4.5MB, the restriction on size uploads to the forum is 512KB. So in fact this is user error not IOS6 error. Tested on iPad 3 and, on iPhone 4s screenshot size is >753KB, again greater than the max size allowed on the forum uploader.
You can easily resize or crop your screenshots using the excellent iPhoto another Apple App.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks I will do that and try again

Posted 23 Sep 2012, 18:57 #18 

Mad-Monkey
You can add a pic to an email by using the copy command on the photo and pasting into an email. You have to go back and forth for multiple pics but it works

Posted 23 Sep 2012, 21:09 #19 

les4048
Used photo bucket instead, it's much easier

Apples offering, the red dot is where it thinks I live the blue where I actually live

Google view

Posted 24 Sep 2012, 05:40 #20