interior mirror auto dimmer with rain sensor by persuer

persuer
Would one of these be easy to fit?

Posted 29 Jun 2012, 19:33 #1 

Duncan
Theres two different bits there.

The interior mirror with dimmer is fairly straightforward, though some cars are harder than others to sort the wiring. Theres a few threads around.

The rain sensor needs a new windscreen with the window and clips for the sensor. Then after the wiring mods, you'd need a T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) to recode the car to tell it the thing is fitted. So this is NOT easy.

Posted 29 Jun 2012, 20:41 #2 

persuer
Thanks Duncan, I think I will give that a miss then.

Posted 29 Jun 2012, 21:38 #3 

raistlin
Why not just go for the auto-dimming mirror Richard. I can give you a hand if you're not sure.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 29 Jun 2012, 21:57 #4 

persuer
Thanks Paul I will check out prices, Oh and I'm ok for next Sunday as far as I know so you will have to pm me close to the date my friend.

Posted 29 Jun 2012, 22:22 #5 

PaulT
For the rain sensing wipers the unit clips on to a part stuck on the windscreen and with a thin scraper you can remove this.

Duncan, does the blacked out surround do anything or is it to hide the inside of the sensor and mirror stalk cover? Think I am right that the part that stick to the windscreen has clear glass under it.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 30 Jun 2012, 16:18 #6 

PaulT
PS - when I took mine out of a car I took the loom from the bottom of the winscreen pillar in case the connector is not above the headlining.
Paul

Posted 30 Jun 2012, 16:19 #7 

Bolin
I have see a how to for fitting a rain sensor to a BMW E46 (same sensor I think) where the black surround was painted on and the prism stuck on with silicone. Apparently using silicone is hard and the correct stuff (special tape) is available.

I'm planning to try this method some point as my ZCS codes have already been changed to include the sensor.

Posted 30 Jun 2012, 17:01 #8 

Bermudan 75
Am I correct in saying that our Rover auto-dipping mirror is identical to a BMW model?

Posted 04 Jul 2012, 21:24 #9 

Duncan
The mirror is the same as a number of other cars including BMWs but not sure which one(s). I didn't know the clips were removeable so that's a bonus, and yes the black will just be to hide the edges of the covers, wiring and so on. It's known as obscuration band and is screen printed on.

Posted 04 Jul 2012, 21:32 #10 

ceedy
I have a beemer Mirror fitted .

the Same fixing is used ( the bit stuck on the glass) but on mine the Stem is a bit shorter and so the mirror ends up a bit higher .
but no real problem .
wiring pretty much the same ( just 3 wires needed connecting if I recall )

Chris
Got one for Me , Then one for her, and now a big one for me again, All BLOO! Well saves on the touch up paint, Now Number one son's Spoilt it all by getting a Firefrost 1.8T

Posted 04 Jul 2012, 21:55 #11 

PaulT
The other option for the windscreen is to use an automatic centre punch, sorry, have an unfortunate incident whereby a stone was flicked up by another car and cracked the windscreen requiring replacement with the rain sensor type
Paul

Posted 05 Jul 2012, 05:10 #12 

Mintman
The sensor itself is the violet square in the middle of the black surroundings these are to hide the interior and to garantee a proper working of the sensor.

Be aware: In recent times the replacment sensor front screens came with tiny air bubbles enclosed in the violet sensor(bad production) so after a while these enclosed air can evolve into a really big bubble and the sensor will fail.So during replacment have a close look at the screen (Sensor) refuse a replacment if so.Just ask for another front window.

Posted 10 Jul 2012, 15:07 #13 

Mad-Monkey
On the cars I've done this mod the wiring has been glued to the headlining. Even when people thought they didn't have it, it was there! There is a lot of glue on it and usually has to be picked out the sensor, so worth a good look. Sometimes a feel just doesn't cut it.

Posted 10 Jul 2012, 15:26 #14