Intel buys McAfee by JohnDotCom

• Related topics: (no related topics)

JohnDotCom
Intel has agreed to shell out a massive $7.68 billion to acquire McAfee in a deal that will cause more than a ripple in the security sphere.

The purchase is reflective of the growing importance of security in online computing, according to Intel, and the pair will work on product concepts that will cover the range of protection required in the modern day world.

Meanwhile, McAfee’s 6,100 employees and range of popular security products will soon find themselves under the wing of a new owner.

It is undeniably a lot of money to spend on a firm, but is it worth it? Why has Intel invested so much in McAfee? And how much of an impact will it make on the security landscape?
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 20 Aug 2010, 09:04 #1 

MrB
Hopefully it will mean that McAfee now produce a product that actually prevents you from being infected with well known viruses.

Sorry, but cam free with my broadband package and I have recently had to recover my PC from a severe infection it failed to stop or even spot.

Now have Avast installed as a secong layer.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 20 Aug 2010, 09:22 #2 

carlpenn
MrB wrote:Hopefully it will mean that McAfee now produce a product that actually prevents you from being infected with well known viruses.

Sorry, but cam free with my broadband package and I have recently had to recover my PC from a severe infection it failed to stop or even spot.

Now have Avast installed as a secong layer.

Chris

I am actually surprised to hear that, I had been a loyal McAfee user for many years and never once had an infection :shock: I am currently using Virgin's Security software which is the only reason I stopped using Mcafee.

On Topic, I wonder how long it will be before Intel whacks the price up, same as their overpriced CPU's ;)
Upgrades:

Fitted Electric Memory Seat, Leather Cubby Lid, Wood Dash, Message Centre.

Posted 23 Aug 2010, 14:19 #3 

Bermudan 75
I don't think Intel will be able to hike up their prices, if I remember correctly the EU recently successfully took on Microsoft and won.

The price paid by Intel for McAfee will be linked to their share price etc. I do wonder just what is the IT industry worth ?

Posted 23 Aug 2010, 15:04 #4 

JohnDotCom
Intel are talking about incorporating the program on chip and auto updates.
Not sure how/if that will work.
John

I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 23 Aug 2010, 15:28 #5 

Bermudan 75
Would that not create a monopoly akin to Microsoft having Windows Explorer as their default internet search engine? Challenged successfully by the EU ?

Posted 23 Aug 2010, 16:13 #6 

JohnDotCom
I had also thought that would be the case.
Be interesting to see how it develops.
Shouldn't think Symantec will/are be very happy!
John

Posted 23 Aug 2010, 16:38 #7