Inside Information about R40 production etc. by Roverite

Roverite
I belong to the RSR and their editor for the 'Freewheel' magazine is Ian Elliott, who spent most of his life with BMC through to MGR. As I write a few articles for their R40 Corner, I often have internet conversations about his experience, particularly about our cars. Ian actually wrote the 1998 Press Pack for the launch of the Rover 75 and consequently had to be very knowledgeable about R40; he actually uses a Tourer 75. Ian has given me permission to relay his comments to our members, so here is the first missive:-

Following an article I did about replacing my Alternator, he penned the following.

"Bit disturbed to hear about the fiddle factor on replacing an R40 Alternator. When I was writing the R40 Press Pack in 1998, I was shown the Virtual Engineering Theatre at Gaydon, where we watched, through 3D goggles, a 'CGI' representation of the underbonnet of a 75 (in this case it was actually of the New Generation BMW engine that would have replaced the K series 4 cylinder petrol, if BMW hadn't pulled out) - the exercise was to remove and replace the alternator, and it demonstrated just how much spanner room there was, how much turn angle you could get on each bolt at a time, and how the alternator had to be maneuvered to get it out and back in. In this case, it came out via the top, perhaps they had learned from the previous less convenient layout."

That is the end of this topic; I will post more as I hear them.

Roverite.

Posted 03 Mar 2013, 14:42 #1 

Bolin
Interesting stuff, I have the original press pack and have met the author.

Regarding the Alternator, I understand you have a CDT? So presumably in a different location to what would have been the NG engines.

With the jobs I have done to my V6, I have been surprised how (relatively) easy they have been considering the amount of stuff under the bonnet. I have heard of some really nasty jobs on other cars, but the Rover is quite DIY'able.

Posted 11 Mar 2013, 00:22 #2 

Roverite
Bolin wrote:Interesting stuff, I have the original press pack and have met the author.

Regarding the Alternator, I understand you have a CDT? So presumably in a different location to what would have been the NG engines.

With the jobs I have done to my V6, I have been surprised how (relatively) easy they have been considering the amount of stuff under the bonnet. I have heard of some really nasty jobs on other cars, but the Rover is quite DIY'able.

Yes, mine is a CDTi and the one Ian was talking about was a computer aided projection of the BMW replacement engine for the K Series 1.8, which never materialised! Your V6 looks easier with respect to the Alternator, but mine is tucked under the oil filter and is surrounded by air-con pump, PS pump etc.

I'd love to see that press pack. Did you meet Ian Elliott recently? He has lots of R40 documentation and keeps threatening to publish it one day, but he is very busy with the RSR. I will keep nagging him!

Roverite.

PS. I have just read your other post; so you met Ian just the once. Yes, he is a mine of interesting information.

Posted 11 Mar 2013, 13:59 #3 

Gate Keeper
Colin, I have a blank about the R40. Is there any chance you could post up a photo of it?

Posted 12 Mar 2013, 05:50 #4 

Roverite
Gate Keeper wrote:Colin, I have a blank about the R40. Is there any chance you could post up a photo of it?

I am not sure what you mean. R40 was the factory code for the original Rover 75. The other variants were given other codes, like R41 for the Tourer, but the 'family group' is referred to as R40. If you look at my free PDF 'Companion' book in the Know How Forum, the term may be made a little clearer. If I have misunderstood, I am sorry, but please post on here if I can help further.

Regards,
Roverite.

Posted 13 Mar 2013, 14:51 #5 

Gate Keeper
Thanks. You have understood fine. I will have a look at the guide later. Many thanks.

Phil
All the best

Phil

Posted 13 Mar 2013, 15:05 #6 

Bolin
Ooh I like the idea of the existence of a goldmine of R40 info. That's the kind of thing I would get quite exicted about :)

The press pack came in an A4 thin card folder with the launch brochure, the press release (8 pages or so) and a few press photos. Keep your eyes out for one on eBay. Nice thing to go with the car.

Posted 14 Mar 2013, 23:23 #7